VMware Communities
tdefriez
Contributor
Contributor

USB issue on 10.4.10 update also impacts...

Original core duo (2.16mHz) machines - also had to totally re-install windows after update - it froze on black screen. Reloading gets windows back but not USB's

0 Kudos
17 Replies
tcsdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue on my Mac Pro.... Load Fusion from Bootcamp partition and all I get is a black screen. I also have XP on a virtual image and it runs fine.

Anyone have a suggestion other than whack and reload?

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Having just performed the 10.4.10 update on my MacBook Pro without problems with both my regular VMs and Boot Camp VM, I have a couple of questions:

1) When you updated to Mac OS X 10.4.10, was VMware Fusion running?

2) Were any other applications running during the update to Mac OS X 10.4.10?

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As the sticky at the top of the forums and the Unity & USB MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa[/url] thread say, the 10.4.10/USB issue is known and there are no workarounds, you must wait for an update from VMware.

0 Kudos
Huracan
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a solution, but perhaps a root cause. I also noticed my Windows XP on a black screen. However, after waiting patiently for a long time it started to boot. Unfortunately it was going so slow that I sent the Ctrl-Alt-Del and restarted it. I checked the log and it seems that it keeps trying to load the IR USB receiver. Perhaps it just gets so slow because of getting stuck in a loop and writing all these logs. Hopefully a new update of Fusion takes care of this. In the meantime I am not planning to nuke my virtual machine. I'll try to wait for a patch. I am not working off a bootcamp partition, but off a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Egonj
Contributor
Contributor

Not to be an Also Ran. But I have a 2.33Ghz MacBook Pro (NOT Santa Rosa) and I'm having the same issue it seems.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not to be an Also Ran. But I have a 2.33Ghz MacBook

Pro (NOT Santa Rosa) and I'm having the same issue it

seems.

What is the issue you are seeing? No USB or black screen when Windows starts up?

For those seeing this problem, before powering on the VM go to virtual machine Settings and try disabling USB support by unchecking both USB options and restarting the VM.

Pat

0 Kudos
Egonj
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the super-slo-mo Windows. I have disabled the USB and that didn't seem to make a difference on this end.

0 Kudos
Huracan
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention that I have a MacBook core2 duo. The slo-mo/Windows black screen I get it both disabling USB in Fusion settings or enabling it. It doesn't make a difference. I am trying to figure out a way to turn off the IR receiver and see if this helps. However my MacBook doesn't have the option to turn off the IR receiver in the Security Preferences. Does any one know of a non-destructive way of turning off the IR receiver under these circumstances?

0 Kudos
Huracan
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, good news! I think I have figured out a workaround to the black Windows/slo-motion problem. I opened the vmx configuration file with TextEdit (first I Ctrl clicked on the virtual machine and chose to show package contents). On the vmx file search for usb.present and change the value to "FALSE" then start the virtual machine. In my case it complained that the last time it didn't boot correctly and asked me to press F1 to continue or F2 to setup. The keyboard didn't work at this time. I think I shutdown the virtual machine and started it again, and voila it worked! Once Windows boots up the mouse works and the keyboard too. Of course there is no USB support.

0 Kudos
jeliker
Contributor
Contributor

Instead of disabling USB entirely I changed the entry

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "path:13/5/2 autoclean:1"[/code]

to

usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""[/code]

That device0 item appears related to device failure that kept showing up in the vmware log. It's as though disabling autoconnect did not stop this one device from autoconnecting. Now that I'm booted up, when I try to connect to the IR device (identified in the log as "USB: Found device \[name:Apple\ IR\ Receiver vid:05ac pid:8240 path:13/5/2 speed:full family:unknown]") it will not connect though it only fails once instead of over and over again.

0 Kudos
tdefriez
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing was running other than OS update and Pathfinder (I have this set to run all the time). I am moving Fusion to external bootable drive with 10.4.9 on for the time being as USB support was one reason for moving to Fusion from Parallels - Blackberry devices (I use Blackberry all the time and need to backup and sync using Windoz) have issues with Parallels as they seem to handle USB's in a different way - note USB changes did not impact my Parallels machine when I upgraded to 10.4.10. Yes I'm running both currently until onbe wins the race.

0 Kudos
Egonj
Contributor
Contributor

WOOO HOOO! By doing both of these things, I have my windows back (Of course, I'm not so happy about having to run windows in the first place, but at least its working).

I took out the usb.autoConnect.device0 line and the usb="false" thing. And it's working as it should, and I think it might be a bit faster.

J

0 Kudos
tcsdoc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using Fusion beta 4 with Bootcamp on my Mac Pro. Where is the vmx configuration file if using bootcamp? I would like to fix my configuration since I don't use USB devices.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Boot Camp VM is stored in

~\Library\Application Support\VMware Fusion\Virtual Machines\Boot Camp\some disk name\

Right click on the Boot Camp partition VM to Show Package Contents and show the VMX file to open and edit it to make the changes.

Pat

0 Kudos
tcsdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, quick response and quick fix. I'm back in business with a little help from my friends... :smileyshocked:

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
jgspda
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the following:

USB devices are showing up, (in the status bar), but VMWare can't connect them. For example, my Palm/Treo syncs via USB to Windows/Hotsync. This worked with 10.4.9 / VMWare Beta 4.

This stopped working today after the .10 update. Again, it shows up in the VM status bar (I get the USB icon and it says Palm Handheld), but it doesn't connect.

Machine Spec:

Original MB Pro 2.16 Core Duo / 2GB RAM

VM is spec'ed for 1024 MB memory at 32 GB NTFS

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

please update to the new beta 4 refresh build

http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/

0 Kudos