Contributor
Contributor

Under VM Windows 7 x64 cannot load internet

OSX 10.6.4

Mac 2x3 Dual Core Intel Xeon

8 GB 677 MMz DDR2 FB-DIMM

VM Fusion Ver Version 3.1.0 (261058)

Windows 7x64

I'm a novice here in uncharted areas. Have had many issues with OSX/VMware and running some PC based software. This one has stopped me from running any Microsoft Suite Programs because the program (Windows) cannot gain access to the internet. If I drop out of VM OSX accesses internet without problems so it would follow that something is amiss between VM-Windows- and that mysterious thing called the virtual world.

Try to launch explorer... it fails...try to diagnose.. "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting" I checked.... Went to VM/Virtual machine settings. Clicked on network.. Indications are Network (NAT) is operational. I have attached screenshot.

Where do I go from here? Should I try and reinstall VM or windows 7?

One curious observation. When I launched VM... Windows Resumes (as usual) VM indicated that an update was available. This indicates to me that VM has access to web but when I try to update VM with windows it dies unable to connect to internet.

Thanks,

mturner

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Honestly if you havnt tried it yet try the bridge setting out. I have always had better luck with the bridge setting than NAT.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a test I like to tell people to try to help start to see where the issue may lie. Using this test it eliminates anything being mis-configured in the Guest OS as one is using a Live OS ISO Image and nothing needs to be configured besides taking all the defaults as one walks through the process with this in mind.

Download the dsl-4.4.10.iso (50 MB in size) image from DSL Linux and create a new Other Linux 2.4.x kernel Virtual Machine and just take the defaults as you walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant.

Note: There is nothing to install as you're running the DSL Linux from the ISO Image that you selected as you walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant on the Installation Media sheet where you select Use operating system installation disk image file:.

If the Host has Internet Connectivity you should be able to start the Other Linux 2.4.x kernel Virtual Machine using the dsl-4.4.10.iso and then bring up the Web Browser by clicking on the Fx icon on the Panel on the DSL Linux Desktop and you should connect to the Internet immediately. Note: This assumes the Virtual Machine's Network is set to the default NAT and the Host has Internet/Network Connectivity at the time you run this Virtual Machine.

By doing this if you connect immediately as you use the Browser from the DSL Linux Live OS ISO Image that tells us that the Fusion Application and the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure is okay and that the problem is in the Windows Virtual Machine and probably isn't a Fusion issue beyond uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools in the target Virtual Machine. However this does give a basis to start from if there is a problem and if you do not have Internet Connectivity from the DSL Linux Virtual Machine when the Host has Internet Connectivity then the issue is probably with the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure or VMware Fusion itself and we can test what's next based on your results of this test.

So test with DSL Linux and report back and we can start a logical troubleshooting process from there.

0 Kudos
mturner
Contributor
Contributor

Selected Bridge instead of NAT. VM say I'm connected but I still can't get on line.

Thanks for the idea.

mturner

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The next step I would recommend trying then is to check your firewall settings on your physical machine and make sure it is not blocking something. Also is the VM now pulling a correct IP address?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Selected Bridge instead of NAT. VM say I'm connected but I still can't get on line.

Try the test I've suggested with DSL Linux and report back.

0 Kudos