VMware Communities
GREXI
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Fusion -shared folder with Mac

From one day to another I could not open my shared folder data was empty. Where can I set a new shared folder?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
solaflare1
Contributor
Contributor

ME too ,win11 tiny 2133 can't drag any type folder to vmware win11 desktop

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@solaflare1 Drag/drop of folder works for a standard Windows 11 installation. I'd suspect an issue with Tiny11 and the lack of a Windows component that has been stripped out. 

@GREXI what is the OS that's running in the VM?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@solaflare1  I just downloaded Tiny11 x64 and installed it as a VM on an Intel Mac. Drag/drop works for a folder from host to guest (and guest to host) works fine once I installed VMware Tools. 

I'm going to give it a try on ARM to see if it's any different.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I just installed Tiny11 ARM from the Internet Archive (archive.org). Once I installed VMware Tools, drag/drop of folders worked fine both ways (from host to guest and guest to host).

Getting back on-topic, though. If the OP is running Linux, there's a known issue with open-vm-tools and the legacy VMware Tools where shared folders won't mount at VM boot. If that happens, go to the Fusion settings for the VM and toggle the shared folders off, then on again. The folders should remount.

There is a persistent workaround for this - see the unofficial guide found in the VMware Fusion Documents section of the forum for how to implement this persistent workaround.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
GREXI
Contributor
Contributor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@GREXI Thanks for the clarification - the issue I outlined previously is for Linux and doesn't apply to Windows.

What version of Fusion, macOS, and what version of VMware Tools are installed in the VM?

Does disabling then re-enabling shared folders in the VM's settings make any difference?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos