VMware Communities
Jello
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion installation package not recognized by OS X

Hello All, I got my copy of the program today and started to install it. For the first time in five years of Mac ownership, I saw this error message where an installation package was not recognized by OS X. I tried to download a copy from the VMWare website with the same result. Disk image mounts and I can see the contents of the image. I am also able to open the PDF file on the image and run the uninstall utility but no joy with the installation package. Any help is greatly appreciated. As you can imagine, this is extremely frustrating. Thanks!

By the way, I am running OS X (10.4.10) on MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core Duo with 1GB of RAM.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

This is definitely not normal. I would first try to run Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and click on your hard drive on the left size, then Repair Disk Permissions. If that doesn't work, after remounting the Fusion CD or .dmg, I would look into an inexpensive system cache cleaner like Tiger Cache Cleaner or Cocktail for OS X.

0 Kudos
Jello
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I repaired disk permissions and also installed and ran Tiger Cache Cleaner. Still not able to install the program. I am going to try downloading

another installation package and see if the problem persists. Do let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

PS: I also ran MD checksum on the downloaded file to make sure there was no problem with the downloaded file.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

How strange. I would copy the icon to the desktop and see if it changes.

0 Kudos