VMware Communities
Ben_Cacace
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 11 to 13 w/macOS 10.14 & Windows Home

Hello,

Do I need to follow a specific order to update my operating systems (macOS & Windows) to use VMware Fusion 13 Player?

I'm currently running:

• VMware Fusion 11.1.0
• macOS Mojave 10.14.6
• Windows 10 HOME, 64-bit, (Build 19045)

My concern is with upgrading the software in the correct order to avoid possible compatibility issues. My thought is that updating macOS will cause issues with VMware Fusion 11.1.0. Is this a concern since VMware Fusion 11 is only compatible with Windows 10 Home and macOS 10.14?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 11 is not compatible with any macOS release  after Catalina. I’d remove Fusion before any macOS major version upgrade to avoid any funny interactions with stuff that may be left behind by an incompatible Fusion version. If I were to do this: and upgrading to  Monterey or Ventura to support Fusion 13

• Perform a complete manual uninstall of Fusion per KB  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 . This will not touch your VM
  • Upgrade to Monterey or Ventura. Either of these support Fusion 13. 
  • Install Fusion 13

When opening your VM for the first time under Fusion 13, do not accept the offer to upgrade the virtual,hardware to the latest version  

You do not need to perform any upgrades of Windows.. You may wish to upgrade VMware Tools at some point. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Ben_Cacace
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much, Paul! This is very clear, but I knew there was a catch in upgrading to Fusion 13 so late in the process and thanks for pointing out that a complete manual uninstall of Fusion 11 won't affect my current VM.

Ben

0 Kudos