VMware Communities
vbavba2019
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine immediatly stops after starting

Hi, I am new to Mac but not to VMware. I have installed VMware fusion and tried to create some virtual machines. I downloaded arm iso files and when I create a virtual machine and click it to start in seconds it stops so I can’t install or use any machine. And can’t see well what is happening on screen. How can I fix the situation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

There is a known problem when running Fusion 13.5 on Sonoma that causes the symptoms you are seeing. If you enable either one of  these two macOS Accessibility features:

• VoiceOver
  • Full Keyboard Access

a VM will stop immediately after power-on.

Check to see if you have either of these turned on, and if so, turn them off.

From what we're hearing, this appears to be an Apple problem that has reportedly been fixed in the most recent Sonoma 14.4 beta.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
jack5253
Contributor
Contributor

To fix the issue of virtual machines immediately stopping after starting in VMware Fusion on your Mac, ensure that you are using x86-compatible ISO files for the operating system installation. ARM-based ISO files are not compatible with VMware Fusion on Mac. Obtain an x86 ISO file for the desired operating system, create a new virtual machine in VMware Fusion, and use the x86 ISO file to install the operating system. This should resolve the problem and allow you to proceed with the installation process successfully.

Pittythings is a dynamic platform offering diverse content on lifestyle, fashion, beauty, travel, entertainment, and technology. With informative articles and engaging topics, it caters to a broad audience seeking insights and inspiration across various aspects of daily life and interests

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

This is only correct for older Intel-based Macs.  For newer Apple-silicon-based Macs, ARM-based OS's **are** required.  x86-based OS's will NOT run.

0 Kudos
vbavba2019
Contributor
Contributor

Yes in my example I am using a MacBook M1 air.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
vbavba2019
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to turn off voice over from Macs settings and tried to run a vm and it worked this time. I hope that is the only problem.

Thanks for showing the way.

0 Kudos