VMware Communities
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

Wake On LAN

Can a Fusion virtual machine in StandBy be "woken" with a Wake On LAN magic packet?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know, but http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-network-advanced.html suggests that adding ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "TRUE" to your .vmx config file may work.

0 Kudos
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE" was already in the .vmx file. I changed it the "TRUE," but nope, didn't work.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you do this with the virtual machine shut down and Fusion not running?

0 Kudos
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I shut down the vm before I made the change to the .vmx file in its package -- I assume that's where I was supposed to make the change.

I tried sending a WOL packet both from the host mac using WakeOnLan and also from another PC on the network using a DLL from Depicus. In bothe cases, I specified the MAC Address I got from running ipconfig /all from the command line on the virtual machine (W2K) and the IP address I assigned it when I installed Windows.

The Depicus DLL wakes up the host Mac fine, so I don't know, maybe this can't be done.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, I shut down the vm before I made the change to the .vmx file in its package -- I assume that's where I was supposed to make the change.

You may also need to close Fusion as well before editing the .vmx file.

0 Kudos
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I shut down Fusion, too. The .vmx file edited fine. My change is still there and it didn't hose the vm. It just didn't enable Wake On Lan.

I'm using a bridged connection, and maybe that has something to do with it, but I could never get the vm to see the rest of the network or the Internet with any setting other than "bridged."

0 Kudos
jonheal
Contributor
Contributor

Interestingly, the WakeOnLan application on the Mac detects the W2K vm as woken even when its in Standby. Only after I quit Fusion does it detect the vm as being asleep.

0 Kudos