VMware Communities
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

Want to install windows 11 on Mac M1

I followed the below link to install windows 11 on vm fusion which run on Mac M1 machine .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ddkjQATnw

I have the below questions

1) have to download Windows 11 ARM64 version , Windows 11 is not work ? what is the problem if use Windows 11 ( not ARM64 ) ?

2) I have downloaded Windows 11 ARM64 version ( from insider preview ) , which is VMDK file , the vm fusion seems can not use this type of file , it seems only can use ISO , right ? I should download ISO file ?

3) I need to follow all steps in the above link includes run the comments on powershell and terminal ?

4) is there simpler to install windows 11 on Mac M1 machine ?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try the instructions in this document: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Echoing what @scott28tt says. Ignore what that video says. The instructions are obsolete and more complex than it has to be. The author should do everyone a favor and remove it.

You can’t use a Windows 11 ISO file you download from Microsoft as it’s for machines that have an Intel CPU. M1/M2 Macs do not have Intel CPUs and won’t run the Windows contained in that ISO. You need the ARM version of Windows 11 to run it in a VM on M1/M2 Macs. The problem is  is that Microsoft does not make it directly available for consumers. The instructions in the document tell you how to get around that and create an installation ISO with the released version of Windows 11 ARM  

And don’t use the Insider Preview VHDX files - those are pre-release versions and you will end up with a flaky, beta version of Windows that is not easily updated  

The procedures and tools referenced in the document linked to by @scott28tt will get you the released version of a Windows 11 ARM ISO and tell you how to install it. The VMware video and network drivers still need to be installed via Powershell, but that’s not a hard process if you follow the instructions. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
PFroe
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Paul (and all involved)
So.. f installed this on a mac mini m2 and it works very well. Thanks to all. 
But now.. If we want to officialize and activate the copy o Windows.. Is that possible? 
Now.. in 2024.. is there already an offical way for using M chips hardware, VMWARE and WIN11? Or are we doomed to using hacks forever? 
Thanks so much for your help. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@PFroe wrote:

But now.. If we want to officialize and activate the copy o Windows.. Is that possible? 
Now.. in 2024.. is there already an offical way for using M chips hardware, VMWARE and WIN11? Or are we doomed to using hacks forever? 
Thanks so much for your help. 

You can activate Windows 11 ARM using a Microsoft license. Retail Windows 11 licenses will activate WIndows 11 ARM in addition to Windows 11 x64 (I can personally vouch that works because I'm doing it). I believe that others have been able to activate using an enterprise license as well.

VMware officially supports Windows 11 ARM in a virtual machine on M-series Macs. Microsoft not list Fusion as a "certified" way to run Windows 11 ARM on M series hardware - they only list Parallels. But this does not mean that Windows 11 ARM won't work on VMware Fusion. - it does, and quite well. I hope Microsoft's position changes once their (now confirmed) exclusivity agreement with Qualcomm reportedly expires at some point this year. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos