VMware Communities
fbx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Want to move Bootcamp install OR VMWare VM to external disk and run from there.

I have two versions of Windows 7 on my 24" iMac 4GB. One is a Bootcamp install of Win 7 Professional. One is a Windows 7 VM in VMWare under Mac OSX. Both windows installs work fine (the Bootcamp one is NOT accessible via VMWare at present).

What I want to do is get EITHER install running on a partition of the external drive I have connected. I have 3 partitions on a 1 T drive. A 500GB for Time Machine, and 2 250GB, one Mac OSX and one Fat32.

What I'd really prefer is a straight BOOTABLE Win install on the Fat 32 partitions, but will settle for moving the VMWare install to the OSX partition of the external.

Are there ways to do this? I was thinking Winclone but as it's in oblivion I don't know about using.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the Virtual Machine shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed copy the target Virtual Machine Package to the external hard drive and then double-click it to start it the first time and it will populate an entry on the Virtual Machine Library.

As far as running Windows natively from an external drive Windows is not capable of it in of and by itself although there may be some ways depending on the type of external drive and various Boot Loader/Managers that are out there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the Virtual Machine shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed copy the target Virtual Machine Package to the external hard drive and then double-click it to start it the first time and it will populate an entry on the Virtual Machine Library.

As far as running Windows natively from an external drive Windows is not capable of it in of and by itself although there may be some ways depending on the type of external drive and various Boot Loader/Managers that are out there.

0 Kudos
fbx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks much. Worked exactly as you said. Appreciate your help.

fb

0 Kudos