VMware Communities
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the Upgrade Deal ??? - One time download with (NO UPDATES) or pay FULL PRICE to get a copy with 12 months of updates

Where is the Deal ???

Option 1 - One time download with NO UPDATES

Option 2 - Pay FULL PRICE to get copy with 12 months of updates.

NO UPGRADE DEAL HERE.

VMware Fusion Upgrade from Version 2.x and 1.x to VMware Fusion 3

Electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly $39.99

VMware Fusion Upgrade from Version 2.x and 1.x to VMware Fusion 3 + Subscription – Get product upgrades for the next 12 months

VMware Fusion 3.0 plus Subscription — Protect your investment and receive major version releases launched during your 12-month

subscription period. Electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly $99.99

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Welles
Contributor
Contributor

I looked at the upgrade page again, somewhat concerned by your post and wondering if I'd blown it by purchasing the $40 upgrade package. I'm still not completely sure but the page I went to said the upgrade with Subscription was $59.99 not $99.99. Secondly I presume that means if Fusion 4 comes out in the next 12 months you get it free but for the lesser upgrade price you would still get the v.3 updates. Maybe someone from VMWare will clarify that for us.

0 Kudos
mmarinho
Contributor
Contributor

I hope this is not the deal at all. I would hate to pay $40 for an upgrade that will not entitle me to any future updates. That would not make any sense. I believe their thinking is you pay $40 to make your license current and then you are entitled to all updates like the folks that purchase the full version for $80. Does anybody know for sure if my thinking is correct?

-Manny

0 Kudos
Tony_Hoyle
Contributor
Contributor

It is quite clear in the wording that to get product updates you have to pay $59.99. It was $99.99 earlier but it's been altered - presumably because the upgrade pricing was higher than the new price from Amazon.

The wording has also changed slightly from the original post (I think)

$39.99

VMware Fusion Upgrade from Version 2.x and 1.x to VMware Fusion 3 + Subscription – Get product upgrades for the next 12 months

$59.99

0 Kudos
JonSmart
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare are obviously having a bad day, not only have I had the same problems as others with the license, I have just noticed a blinding error after reading this post.

If you choose to upgrade in dolars without Subscription is $39.99 with Subscription is $59.99. Now switch currency to UK pounds, without subscription £26.90, with subscription £67.37.

How does that work, surely thats two completly different exchange rates?

I hope someone is able to clarify what you can expect from the subscription and the pricing models?

0 Kudos
Tony_Hoyle
Contributor
Contributor

You're right - they're really taking the smeg with the UK pricing on that one.

Or, you can go to Amazon and pay full price of £58.99.

0 Kudos
GCWF
Contributor
Contributor

I'm under the impression that the basic Fusion 3 Upgrade will include industry-standard updates (like 3.0.2, 3.1, etc.), while the more expensive "subscription" offering will include — as it states — major upgrades (Fusion 4, perhaps 3.5 if they are unwise) for free if they drop in the next 12 months.

But I could be wrong about that. VMware's really bungling this up today.

0 Kudos
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

YES, They did change the Upgrade Prices, but WHY should you have to pay extra for 12 months of upgrades. (BUG FIXES)

From what others are experiencing, VMware Fusion 3 appearently still has a lot of work needed to get the bugs out.

Make Your Selection Below:

Price

Electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly

$39.99

VMware

Fusion 3.0 plus Subscription — Protect your investment and receive

major version releases launched during your 12-month subscription

period. Electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly

$59.99

0 Kudos
ctthoqqua
Contributor
Contributor

Well, hypothetically speaking, if a major upgrade does come out within the next 12 months, you have to assume it would be no more than $40 for the upgrade. When I purchased the upgrade last night, the 12-month major-version upgrade cost was $99, and that would be $20 more than if I just bought the upgrade later in the year!

Even $60 isn't a great bargain, you'd only be saving $20 on some possible future release-- with no guarantees to availability.

David

0 Kudos
apmetus
Contributor
Contributor

It seems like this is really just going to upset people. First, I don't think people will be too happy they'll have to PAY for an "upgrade" every 12 months. Second, if VMware doesn't charge for an upgrade within 12 months, people will be upset they've paid money for something they never received.

0 Kudos
dwaynef
Contributor
Contributor

Between the gouging for future upgrades and the inability to even purchase the product today, maybe it's time to consider Parallels.

0 Kudos
MarkHolbrook
Contributor
Contributor

As one of the "beta" testers I get this email that gives me a promo code to get a discount on my upgrade of Fusion... Yet when I enter the promo code it says its an invalid code... I've been on telephone hold for close to 20 minutes...

0 Kudos
ktiz
Contributor
Contributor

In USD the higher price is 50% higher than the other. In ALL other currencies it is more than twice the other. All conversions appear to be wrong

0 Kudos
conleyt
Contributor
Contributor

So, do the people that paid 99.99 get $40 back since the price was dropped to 59.99? Do the beta testers that ordered the upgrade before they received the email get a refund?

Tom C.

0 Kudos
terbor
Contributor
Contributor

As one of the "beta" testers I get this email that gives me a promo code to get a discount on my upgrade of Fusion... Yet when I enter the promo code it says its an invalid code... I've been on telephone hold for close to 20 minutes...

Did you get an answer? My promo code doesn't work either.

0 Kudos
mmarinho
Contributor
Contributor

The discount code does not work. Another issue on their end. I have opened a ticket with customer service so they can credit my credit card the discount. I suggest you all do the same.

-Manny

0 Kudos
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

deleted

0 Kudos
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

I was emailed further clarifications on ONE TIME Download with (NO UPDATES)

The $39.99 upgrade entitles you the 3.0 release of Fusion only. To be entitled to future updates, you need to purchase a maintenance subscription package.

Best Regards,

Adam Bray | Manager, VMware Global Support Services | (toll-free)

1-877-486-9273 x55911 | (direct) 905-315-5911 | (hours) 9:00am - 5:30pm

EST

So to stay up to date I am going to have to buy a yearly subscription.

This might become very expensive - $39 to $59 per year. It might be a easier, smarter and safer as far as my windows data, to

just buy a cheap netbook for the (1) Accounting Program I use that

requires Windows.

0 Kudos
Welles
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, But Just found at Apple Refurbished for less

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB418LL/A?mco=MTExOTk3ODE