VMware Communities
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the Upgrade Deal ??? - One time download with (NO UPDATES) or pay FULL PRICE to get a copy with 12 months of updates

Where is the Deal ???

Option 1 - One time download with NO UPDATES

Option 2 - Pay FULL PRICE to get copy with 12 months of updates.

NO UPGRADE DEAL HERE.

VMware Fusion Upgrade from Version 2.x and 1.x to VMware Fusion 3

Electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly $39.99

VMware Fusion Upgrade from Version 2.x and 1.x to VMware Fusion 3 + Subscription – Get product upgrades for the next 12 months

VMware Fusion 3.0 plus Subscription — Protect your investment and receive major version releases launched during your 12-month

subscription period. Electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly $99.99

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Welles
Contributor
Contributor

Whoops! Sorry that was a mistake.

0 Kudos
mmarinho
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I figured this out and ended up opting for the $59 upgrade instead. But this has nothing to do with the discount code, the code just doesn't work.

-Manny

0 Kudos
cvglass
Contributor
Contributor

Given that why would I want to pay for a seriously buggy piece of software at all if it did not include even patch update to make it work.

0 Kudos
conleyt
Contributor
Contributor

I still wonder about the people who paid 99.99 before the subscription price was reduced on the website to 59.99. Will they get $40 back, or are they out of luck?

Tom C.

0 Kudos
Tony_Hoyle
Contributor
Contributor

I think it must be unique in software history to release a version that doesn't even include bug fixes.

So.. if a critical data loss bug is found in 3.0 tomorrow, those that have bought it without the 'optional' 12 month support are hosed - and VMware are laughing all the way to the bank.

It's worth noting that the full price boxed version from amazon is the cheaper unsupported verson not the version with bug fixes, so there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers.

0 Kudos
Tony_Hoyle
Contributor
Contributor

They still haven't dropped the price in the non-US stores. Upgrade price with updates is still more expensive than buying it new!!

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tony,

There is a misunderstanding here about what subscription offer means. Let me clear things up.

VMware Fusion 3 comes with free UPDATES to fix bugs and the like. So, VMware Fusion 3.0.1, 3.0.2, etc are ALL free UPDATES with any VMware Fusion 3 full purchase or upgrade. If we were to come out with a VMware Fusion 3.1, that is an UPDATE that would be free to all VMware Fusion 3 customers.

The Subscription offering provides MAJOR UPGRADE protection for 12 months. UPGRADES are major new releases with significant features. So, it will protect you in the event that VMware Fusion 4 is released in the next 12 months you will get that MAJOR UPGRADE for free with valid subscription. So, $20 gives you protection that if VMware Fusion 4 comes out in the next 12 months, you will get it for FREE as part of your valid subscription.

To summarize:

All VMware Fusion 3 customers will get UPDATES and bug fixes for free. If you buy the Subscription add-on, you will get MAJOR UPGRADE protection in the next 12 months.

I hope that clears things up.

Best,

Pat Lee

Director, Personal Desktop Products

VMware

0 Kudos
fuzzy-wan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(Never mind.)

0 Kudos
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

This is the complete email I mailed to VMWare to clarify the two upgrafe prices (bottom is message I sent, top response)

-

Hi David,

The $39.99 upgrade entitles you the 3.0 release of Fusion only. To be entitled to future updates, you need to purchase a maintenance subscription package.

As for the Beta Tester code, if you can send me the code you were provided, I will see what we can do to get you a working one.

Best Regards,

Adam Bray | Manager, VMware Global Support Services | (toll-free) 1-877-486-9273 x55911 | (direct) 905-315-5911 | (hours) 9:00am - 5:30pm EST

Maximize VMware Support - Verify your license administrator for upgrade notification. Learn More

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:33 PM

To: Adam Bray

Subject: Please Clarify & Working Beta Tester Discount Code

Please clarify the difference:

1. Is the $39.99 just a one time upgrade, do you receive any any updates (and for how long, just version 3.00) ?

2. or is it more like the previous version were the more expensive version also included McAfee anti-virus ?

- Do you have a working beta tester discount code ?

Thank you,

David

Make Your Selection Below:

Price

(X) Mware Fusion Upgrade from Version 2.x and 1.x to VMware Fusion 3 electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly $39.99

( ) Mware Fusion Upgrade from Version 2.x and 1.x to VMware Fusion 3 + Subscription – Get product upgrades for the next 12 months

VMware Fusion 3.0 plus Subscription — Protect your investment and receive major version releases launched during your 12-month subscription period.

Electronic Software Download – Start Using It Instantly $59.99

0 Kudos
dcliev
Contributor
Contributor

Adam Bray - VMWare Manager seems to be very clear to me.

"The $39.99 upgrade entitles you the 3.0 release of Fusion only. To be

entitled to future updates, you need to purchase a maintenance

subscription package."

No it doesn't seem to be loyal user friendly, but fortunately, there are other options.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well I'm going to through my 2 cents in...

The option "VMware Fusion 3.0 plus Subscription" is for major version releases launched during your 12-month subscription period.

What this mean is if during the 12 months from the time you buy it (or maybe register it) if 4.0.0 comes out you get it free however since VMware has in the past made a .5 release a paid upgrade that could mean Fusion 3.5.0 based on the past with other VMware products.

Without the Subscription the minor version increases (like 3.0.1, 3.0.2 etc.) up to what they deem is a major version increment have always been included without having to buy the subscription as it (the subscription) is for major versions releases as it does state "Protect your investment and receive major version releases launched during your 12-month subscription period." at the web site.

Now what I've just said is based on over 5 years of buying VMware products however things are always subject to change and I think someone from VMware need to chime into this thread and clear up the confusion. Maybe Pat Lee will clear it up because frankly I do not think that Adam Bray knows what he's talking about in this particular case!?

==========

Now lets look at some facts...

VMware Fusion 1.0 was released on: Aug 6, 2007

VMware Fusion 2.0 was released on: September 15, 2008

VMware Fusion 3.0 was released on: October 27, 2009

So if version 4 follows the same it too will be over a year before it will be released and therefore everyone who buys in this release frenzy will in all likelihood not get the next version and wasted $20!

The bottom line is if history repeats itself one would do best not to immediately buy it but run the free 30 day trial serial number and wait another couple of weeks to then buy it and hope like hell VMware gets the next major version out the door in time for the earlier adopters to get a fair shake but even then if you do the math and how long it took to go from 2 to 3 even with the 30 day trial serial number one could still fall shy.

So it sure looks like the only ones that will benefit are the ones that wait at least another 5 maybe 6 weeks and then they will most likely fall within that 12 month window based on past release schedules.

0 Kudos
akuska
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pat Lee did weigh in. S/he explicitly stated that the $40 version includes bug fixes. The $60 option includes any major upgrades (e.g. to 4).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

So he did and I missed it! Smiley Happy

Anyway the keyword here is if and base on the last two major releases being over a year apart then earlier adopters get screwed so to hedge ones bet use the free 30 day trial serial number and then wait a bit longer to buy if possible.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Hi Pat,

What about those of us who were given the $99 option instead of the $59 option, and declined it because it was too expensive? I'd have paid $59 (versus $39), but $99 was too much. Can we convert the $39 to $59 somehow?

3.0 works great BTW Smiley Happy

0 Kudos