VMware Communities
jaffel
Contributor
Contributor

Wifi not connecting windows 11

Hello. I've recently tried installing windows through the virtual machine in mi mac (m1) and  everything was fine until i tried connecting to wifi. I've tried switching to different options in the settings (share with my mac, autodetect, etc) but none of them works. Any idea on how to solve this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you using the easy install option in Fusion, where it downloads and installs the OS?  If not, go back and do that.  Otherwise you have to manually enable the network drivers in the guest (which is a pain).

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

Are you using the easy install option in Fusion, where it downloads and installs the OS?  If not, go back and do that.  Otherwise you have to manually enable the network drivers in the guest (which is a pain).

A small nit: it's not called "Easy Install" - that's an entirely different installation option that isn't present on Windows 11 ARM. 

@jaffel  What you want to do is in the "Select an installation option" is to click on the "Download Windows from Microsoft" button. That'll create an installation ISO that has integrated the VMware network drivers  (they're not provided by Microsoft out of the box like they are for Intel Windows) and will install them for you. That way you'll never see this error.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
jaffel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! For some reason I don't have that option. I just have the option of "Create a custom virtual machine" not the other one...

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And you're on 13.5?

0 Kudos
jaffel
Contributor
Contributor

yup! 13.5.0

0 Kudos
slburke
Contributor
Contributor

Not to highjack Jaffel's thread, but this is also happening to me and I DID create the ISO via Fusion.

Error is "DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network" (note.. the IP addresses in question aren't "in use"). This even when I set DHCP reservation. My DHCP will fill with leases all with weird MAC addresses because of this. NAT and Host only networking works "as expected". 

It has worked twice in the last 30 days and I have no clue what I did to make it work.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you're getting that message when using bridged networking, it's likely something up with whatever DHCP is handing out IP addresses on that network segment.  

There are instances of some networks that refuse to hand out different IP addresses  to  multiple MAC addresses present on a single network port. Suggest you double check your DHCP and network port configurations. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
slburke
Contributor
Contributor

slburke_0-1702573718245.png

The MAC address that is conflicting is my Mac's WiFi adapter (the bridge). DHCP is Windows 2016 that is perfectly fine with every other computer and VM in our org. Just issues with this specific Windows 11 VM running on my M1 (ARM) Mac. The connection is extremely flakey. Not sure how I connect when it does decide to do so. Took me at least an hour this morning to get on the network.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@slburke wrote:

The MAC address that is conflicting is my Mac's WiFi adapter (the bridge). DHCP is Windows 2016 that is perfectly fine with every other computer and VM in our org. Just issues with this specific Windows 11 VM running on my M1 (ARM) Mac. The connection is extremely flakey. Not sure how I connect when it does decide to do so. Took me at least an hour this morning to get on the network.

I'm interpreting the message as the DHCP server is handing out the same IP address for two different MAC addresses - the one that the virtual network adapter has and the one present in your host.

Have you checked the logging in your DHCP server to figure out what it's seeing and what it's handing out?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos