VMware Communities
vmware3
Contributor
Contributor

Will New MacBook Improve Fusion Performance?

I have a 2.4Ghz white Macbook with 4G of memory. For the most part I'm satisfied with the performance MS OneNote and Quicken under Fusion 2, but Photoshop is not useable so I boot to Bootcamp when I need it.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the new aluminum Macbook or Macbook Pro, but I notice that they have the same processor that I have now. Does anyone know if I will see improvements in VM performance? Would the new Nvidia graphics or the faster memory improve Photoshop performance?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
korpy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jim,

Just curious: why would you use Photoshop in Fusion while there is a native Mac version? I switched to a mac when VMware started with Fusion. I have some (administration) tools which don't run on other platforms than windows (vmware's Virtual Infrastructure client Smiley Sad ) so that's where I use fusion for. I really see no point in running virtualised apps when when there are native ones... But I might be wrong, so please enlighten me!

regards -frank-

0 Kudos
vmware3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using Photoshop inside Fusion because I'm still using it on my Windows desktop machine. The license covers two installations (desktop + laptop, I suppose) but they must be the same platform. I'm not ready to pay for the Mac version of Photoshop yet. I've heard that Adobe will let you change platforms when you upgrade, but I'm not ready for that either.

... Jim

0 Kudos
webfrasse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The graphics card in the new macbooks will do nothing for photoshop CS2/CS3 or older. Not sure if CS4 has started using the GPU. Aperture does right now but it's currently not a huge improvement. Snow Leopard is supposed to change that for all installed software. Not only the ones that specifically does so today.

How much memory do you allocate to the VM? That's the only thing you at this point...as much as you can spare.

/Mikael

0 Kudos
korpy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jim,

I'm using Photoshop inside Fusion because I'm still using it on my Windows desktop machine. The license covers two installations (desktop + laptop, I suppose) but they must be the same platform.

Well,that's a reason I couldn't think of, and a good one too. Thanks for your clarification!

regards -frank-

0 Kudos