VMware Communities
kbeaton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Vista says invalid product key

I have used VMWare Fusion for over a month and have never had this problem before. I started up windows vista (home premium) as my virtual machine, entered in my password, and it takes me to another screen that says my product key is invalid. I have the option of entering in a "genuine product key," but I don't know if that will erase what files I have saved already under windows. Any reason why it no longer accepts the product key? Any way to make sure my data is not lost before trying to enter the correct one? Should I be that concerned?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Racecar56: Simply upgrading virtual hardware should not trigger Windows reactivation.

Does anyone know if I re-enter a product key into Windows will that, in a sense, re-install windows vista and erase all the data saved under it?

No, I believe your data should be fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Racecar56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe you used to have an old version of Fusion, and that had different hardware than the newer one?

'Cause pretty much every version of Windows submits the hardware to MS's servers...

So no-one can use another's key.

I haven't ever used mac in my entire life so I dunno, just a guess.

0 Kudos
kbeaton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I bought the current version of Fusion from an Apple store this summer. So I don't think it's that out of date. Does anyone know if I re-enter a product key into Windows will that, in a sense, re-install windows vista and erase all the data saved under it???

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Racecar56: Simply upgrading virtual hardware should not trigger Windows reactivation.

Does anyone know if I re-enter a product key into Windows will that, in a sense, re-install windows vista and erase all the data saved under it?

No, I believe your data should be fine.

0 Kudos
Racecar56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

oh. ok

0 Kudos