VMware Communities
ek2
Contributor
Contributor

Windows hard drive size

VMware Fusion 12.0 says my partitioned drive is set for 200 gb (the minimum allowed).  Meanwhile Windows indicates the partitioned drive is only 73 gb with just 7 free and is warning me about size constraints.  When I try to adjust the hard drive size in VMware settings, (1) it won't allow me to adjust it or (2) says there are snapshots that need to be erased (but no snapshots show up when I look under settings / snapshots).  I would ideally like only 100 gp for the partitioned drive. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The way it works is that you can ever only increase size, not go smaller after you have increased the size.

You can however reclaim unused disk space at the host. Eg. if you have a 200GB disk set, but only 70GB is used then by running a cleanup you can reclaim space so that only 70GB is used at the host as well, even while the disk is set to 200GB.

OK.. if you don't have snapshots set (and don't have something enabled that is called "Autoprotect") then the first thing to try is to create a new snapshot, wait a bit, and delete it again.
That usually gets rid of invisible snapshots.

As for the "the disk is 200GB, but Windows only sees 73GB",  that suggests that the partition size is still set to 73GB.
You would need to increase the partition size in order to use the rest of the 200GB. In Windows 10 that's right click on the Windows 10 icon in the bottom left, select "Disk Management", right click the C: disk, select "Extend Volume" and follow the steps.

If any of that doesn't work post back here and provide more details.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos