VMware Communities
DearBrian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

XP to Win 7 - have I got the right version..?

Win7p01.jpg

I just bought the above direct from Amazon for my iMac 24 inch, early 2009 running VMware Fusion 5.0.4 which currently runs XP. Please help me: the packaging looks a bit cheap (but cost 60 pounds anyway) and I fear I may have ended up with some sort of OEM product, or whatever, that might not work for me a simple, humble user. As you'll have guessed I'm a bit clueless in this area which is why I'm asking this question. Many thanks in advance.

PS. I partially obliterated the serial numbers in the image as I believe this is what should be done before posting this sort of thing.

PPS. I'm going for Win 7 as that's what I have on my MacBook Pro - which I frequently use at the same time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's an OEM version, therefore a full installable version of Windows 7.  Whether or not you're legally entitled to use an OEM version you'd have to read the Microsoft OEM System Builder EULA.  Off the top of my head I'd say you're not entitled however I haven't read the EULA lately and the chances of actually getting a Retail version of Windows 7 is probably slim.  If you're not an OEM System Builder and you do choose to use the OEM version you will get zero support from Microsoft as it's the OEM's responsibility to support the install and that would be you, if you so choose! Smiley Wink

Also you might want to keep a copy of Windows XP as you never know when it might come in handy.

BTW when backing up Virtual Machines make sure you make proper* backups! Smiley Wink

==========

*  It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

Also have a look at: Best Practices for virtual machine backup (programs and data) in VMware Fusion (1013628)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would not use that to upgrade an existing Windows XP.  I would create a separate new Windows 7 Virtual Machine and then either manually copy over User Data or use Windows Easy Transfer.  Also, have a look at: Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7

0 Kudos
DearBrian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks for that. Actually, I hadn't thought of an upgrade as such but rather:

- backing everything up twice (done),

- creating a new virtual machine for Win 7,

- restoring what I need,

- checking it all out and then

- simply deleting the XP virtual machine.

Do you think that what I bought from Amazon is right? Is it a complete, standalone, whatever version that will run OK under my version of VMware Fusion ...? I just don't want to open the package if I've got it wrong. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's an OEM version, therefore a full installable version of Windows 7.  Whether or not you're legally entitled to use an OEM version you'd have to read the Microsoft OEM System Builder EULA.  Off the top of my head I'd say you're not entitled however I haven't read the EULA lately and the chances of actually getting a Retail version of Windows 7 is probably slim.  If you're not an OEM System Builder and you do choose to use the OEM version you will get zero support from Microsoft as it's the OEM's responsibility to support the install and that would be you, if you so choose! Smiley Wink

Also you might want to keep a copy of Windows XP as you never know when it might come in handy.

BTW when backing up Virtual Machines make sure you make proper* backups! Smiley Wink

==========

*  It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

Also have a look at: Best Practices for virtual machine backup (programs and data) in VMware Fusion (1013628)

0 Kudos
DearBrian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MANY thanks for your comprehensive and most helpful reply. My confidence is restored! As far as backups are concerned I've never assumed Time Machine was 100% reliable in the Windows area and in this instance I have all that matters copied onto external drives etc. And as for Microsoft support, on the few occasions I've needed help I've always either gone to various forums or had a friendly beer with my neighbour upstairs who knows it all but who is unfortunately away this week.

0 Kudos
DearBrian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to let you know that everything works just great and as you suggested I'm not deleting the old XP 'machine' in case something I need is buried down there somewhere. Again, many thanks for your expert help.

0 Kudos