VMware Communities
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor

fusion 2: low-res dock icon - vmware fusion.app

recently the dock icon as well as the cmd-tab icon for fusion are low-res fuzzy images. see the attached screenshot. i don't believe i did anything to the app (but must have). i checked the fusion.icns file in the contents/resources directory of the app with icon composer & it looks just fine. restarting the dock didn't help nor did removing the app from the dock. anyone know how to get the dock to see the high-res icon?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor

d'oh! this is a well-known apple bug with currently no solution. good to see such quality coding going down on one infinite loop cupertino ...

0 Kudos
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor

found the "answer" on apple's support forums

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

found the "answer" on apple's support forums

Why would you not include a link to the"answer" so others reading this thread might benefit?

0 Kudos
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, there are four or five threads on apple's support site on this issue. it's apparently been a problem since 10.6.0 however it only bit me today or so & i'm running 10.6.2.

the solution is to delete com.apple.dock.plist, com.apple.dock.db, & com.apple.finder.plist from ~/Library/Preferences, then log out & back in (some suggest you should reboot but that's a windows solution). of course, doing this means you lose your dock & finder preferences & have to rebuild those again. (i took a screenshot of my broken dock beforehand).

credit: this above solution was posted by carolyn samit but i couldn't find the thread again even searching on her user name.

0 Kudos
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor

by the way, in several of the threads on apple's support site, they said the solution was only temporary - the fuzzy & missing icons returned to haunt users. apple needs to fix this deeper in their windowing system.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos