VMware Communities
pyzon
Contributor
Contributor

fusion compatability with vista

Just want to confirm that you can't use fusion with any of the vista home editions?

reason being just bought an imac at 1700euro, vmware will cost 50euro and then vista ultimate OEM is running at 150 Smiley Sad ..

This leads to another question I assume there are no issues using Vista OEM and not Retail?

Tks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mkummer
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a Vista Home Premium OEM from Amazon.de (in Germany) and had no problems with installing, registering, activating and using it on VMware. Maybe the legal situation in germany differs from the US, but here it is definitiv legal to use the Home Edition according to several forums here.>
regards, Michael

regards, Michael
0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Microsoft End User License Agreement prohibits use of Microsoft Vista Home Basic and Home Premium in a virtual enviornment. While the software will technically work in a virtual enviornment, it a Microsoft licensing issue. If you have concerns about this, please contact your local Microsoft office for clarification as this is out of our control.

Pat

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I have read that clause is unenforceable under German law too.

The main technical difference is usually activation. Retail copies allow more Internet activations before requiring you to call Microsoft. OEM copies are licensed to one machine to be activated once and you typically have to call Microsoft for each activation. Using Vista in Boot Camp, for instance, requires two activations. If you choose Vista + Boot Camp also install the 32-bit version of Vista.

0 Kudos
Tutor
Contributor
Contributor

The Microsoft End User License Agreement prohibits use of Microsoft Vista Home Basic and Home Premium in a virtual enviornment. While the software will technically work in a virtual enviornment, it a Microsoft licensing issue. If you have concerns about this, please contact your local Microsoft office for clarification as this is out of our control.

I'd rather ask a lawyer than the company that tries to limit their products utilization.

0 Kudos
pyzon
Contributor
Contributor

Ah ok so technically it will work but legally it's a grey area.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ah ok so technically it will work but legally it's a grey area.

We do not officially test and support Home Basic and Home Premium since Microsoft says it cannot be used in virtualization, but I have positive customer reports on it working. It is my understanding, it is the same core as the other products with different value add applications.

Pat

0 Kudos
pyzon
Contributor
Contributor

ok thanks for the responses, probably for support purposes it might be wiser to go with ultimate.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I'd rather ask a lawyer than the company that tries to limit their products utilization.

I agree with , it seems simpler and less expensive to buy a supportable version of Vista retail than the alternatives.

0 Kudos
Tutor
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with , it seems simpler and less expensive to buy a supportable version of Vista retail than the alternatives.

I am not so sure regarding the finanial outcome. These are prices at a respected online retailer in germany, www.alternate.de:

Software SystemBuilder

Microsoft Vista Home Basic

74 Euro incl. VAT

Software SystemBuilder

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

149 Euro incl. VAT

Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit

499 Euro incl. VAT

I agree that it's easier to plunk down the cash.

I work for a big company, so I can use volume license software. If I was restricted by retail limitations, I might be interested to clarify that for myself and others. I'm interested what others think about their situation.

0 Kudos
pyzon
Contributor
Contributor

I went in the end with an OEM vista ultimate version for 150euro, the retail version (although the comfort it provides) is simply not an option for me, just too hard to justify the extra 350, where I could have thrown more memory in the imac or hell got an ittouch ipod

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

A volume license is almost always better than any retail or OEM versions because of the two methods available to activate it: multiple activation keys (MAKs) or a volume license server.

If you want to pay for (or can get pro bono) attorney advise, that would be interesting. Since you are in Germany, it is likely to apply to your local laws - still interesting to know.

0 Kudos