VMware Communities
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

how to ssh into vmware

Hello

I can remote ssh into my imac but how do i set up a ssh into my debian guest on a nat set up?

thanks

ricky1

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

i was wonding if i ssh into my host first ie my mac could i then somehow get into my guest on vmware?

ricky1

0 Kudos
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

because i have a cable connection i spoke to kevin about this but i can only have a NAT connection

ricky1

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should be able to do this either by port forwarding to the Debian VM or by bouncing through the host as you propose.

• To port forward, you need to edit /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-nat.conf (read the file for an example), then make sure the forwarded port is open on OS X. You'll need to restart the networking daemons (via `boot.sh --restart` or by rebooting OS X) for this to have an effect.

• To bounce through the host, first make sure you can ssh to the Debian guest from OS X.

0 Kudos
BP9906
Expert
Expert

You can also SSH Tunnel to your VM. ssh <OSX machine IP> -L listen port:destination IP:destination port I believe is the syntax.

I know its not exactly what you're asking, but its handy for being able to RDP or VNC to it without fiddling with Fusion's NAT settings. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
shshjun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

could you please update your result if you resolve this issue while my interest is not ssh port? i am using leopard and so far i am not able to remote connect to my VM directly using fusion build-in VNC server. see http://communities.vmware.com/thread/111391?tstart=0 . my port forwarding is setup correctly but it does not accept and i am wondering maybe leopard firewall, dispite it on or off, has something to do with it.

thanks, shen

0 Kudos