VMware Communities
vmware6666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Use All Displays in Full Screen" is greyed out?

Hi..

I've got two monitors on my Leopard system, with a Fedora 11 guest, but the 'Use All Displays in Full Screen' menu item is still greyed-out.

From what I've seen with Google, nobody else on the planet is having this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's critical for just about everything... without it, Windows is running without any VMware drivers, so not only will there be a performance hit, but you don't get much of the intended functionality (copy-paste between guest/host; 3d accelleration; shared folders; printers;)... basicaly everything relies on VMware Tools being installed...

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you install VMware Tools?

vmware6666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not yet... I guess it's critical for this?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's critical for just about everything... without it, Windows is running without any VMware drivers, so not only will there be a performance hit, but you don't get much of the intended functionality (copy-paste between guest/host; 3d accelleration; shared folders; printers;)... basicaly everything relies on VMware Tools being installed...

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The OP specified they were using a Fedora guest, so some of what you said doesn't apply (e.g. we currently do not accelerate 3D for Linux guests).

vmware6666: Yes, you need Tools installed. See Fusion's Help for step-by-step instructions.

0 Kudos
vmware6666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I've installed vmware tools. The menu item is still greyed out.

Did I mention that my guest OS is Fedora 11, not Windows?

0 Kudos
vmware6666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And that was after shutting down the guest and vmware.

0 Kudos
vmware6666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, it's hard to say whether vmware-tools was successfully installed, as the option to install vmware-tools is still on the vmware fusion menu. I had to use the tarball install procedure, as there was no rpm on the virtual cdrom image; the fusion help file on the mac side needs to be updated to omit any mention of rpms.

VMware-toolbox works, except that it locks up if you press the 'help' button, and needs to be killed.

Eh, I guess I don't need to have vmware on both monitors.

One of these days, installation will be painless. Linux won't be a second-class citizen anymore.

0 Kudos
vmware6666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install vmware tools, and try again.

0 Kudos