VMware Communities
dnisinson
Contributor
Contributor

update to 2.02 problems or how I spent Saturday

I tried installing the update and all seemed to have gone well until I launched VM Fusion

(Mac Pro, 10.5.6, bootcamp partition, Win XP pro, HP printer connected wirelessly to my local network )

I get a message once the main screen for Windows appears with a message about Windows loading VM tools.

The gathering information message appeared and went on for 2 hours or so, so I finally cancelled the procedure.

I tried to print something at that point and nothing happened.

The HP director status on the printer said the printer was disconnected though the mac side could still print to the printer.

I tried opening Printer and Fax control panel and there was a brief hourglass displayed then nothing, no printer and fax panel opened.

In VM Fusion/About the version is listed as 2.02

I run my printer in Windows from the HP windows driver and prefer it as, when it is working, it prints almost twice as fast as the HP mac version driver.

I went to Settings and unchecked enable printer box and made sure the use different default printer box was checked.

Did a Start/shut down/ shut down

Windows had downloaded some patches and tried to install them. the message installing 1 of 3 came on the screen and stayed there for several hours.

I shut it down using VM Fusion alt/opt key and Shut down

Rebooted Mac

Restarted VM Fusion and windows.

It launched Windows then said something too quick to note down and then Windows did a Restart all on its own.

When it opened again my printer was back and worked as it did previously.

I'm glad it's working now but I have no idea whether anything I did helped or hindered. I would like to know if there is a way to attribute the fix to a particular action or procedure.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dnisinson
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, the printer vanished again today and I noticed that Norton internet security was running a virus scan at the time I checked and the scan seemed to be stalled. I did a ctl-alt-del on Norton and I closed WinXP and VM fusion and restarted them. The printers came back. so maybe there is some kind of conflict with Norton Internet security.

Anyone else have this problem with Norton?

0 Kudos
dicen
Contributor
Contributor

Lots of problems. Which is why we don't use it anymore and VMware ships with a Virus checker other then Nortan. If you need a firewall get something else. If you need a Virus checker use the included one or get Avast. You would be amazed what companies that don't have private corporate jets (hmm.. Symantec) can produce.