VMware Communities
asolochek
Contributor
Contributor

vmware steals focus from OSX dashboard in unity mode

I'm running fusion 4.1.3 and osx mountain lion.  I have windows 7 pro installed in fusion.

If I am running an application (tested with notepad) and hit my hotkey to switch to the OSX dashboard, my screen will slide over to it, then immediately back.  If I minimize the application, I can go to the dashboard without issue.

Like I said in the subject, this is running in unity mode.  Also, I am running two monitors, which might be related.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is there a fix for it?

Thanks.

-Aaron

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SmittyofDHS
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact issue since upgrading to 10.8.

Workaround is not have dashboard as a space. In system preferences > mission control > uncheck dashboard as a space. Then you can use Fn+F12 and the widgets will appear over the top of the desktop. That's the only thing I've found to work so far.

0 Kudos
tbrumleve
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, but haven't found a fix.   The Fn+F12 trick will have to work in the mean time.

0 Kudos
SmittyofDHS
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 5 has the same issue. I really hoped it would be corrected in 5, but it's not. Might be an OS 10.8 issue and not related to Fusion.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This appears to be related to the issue here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/2103813#2103813

It's Mountain Lion only due to changes in Spaces behavior, and we're working on a solution.

0 Kudos
SmittyofDHS
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the update. I'm thinking about moving over to Parallels 8 now due to the new features it has that VMware doesn't.

0 Kudos
looter
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing similar issue in Fusion 4.1.3 and 10.7.4. F12 to Dashboard from Mac Safari (for example) then F12 out of Dashboard and Fusion is almost always the Application in the forefront NOT Safari or whatever application I was using prior to entering Dashboard.

0 Kudos
rsngt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I am having this same issue and note that it only occurs when there is actually a Windows application running.

Happy to help diagnose the isse and text fixes you may have.  I'm running Fusion 5 on a MacBook Pro Retina with 10.8.2.  I have Windows 7, Vista and XP VM's.

Switching off "Show Dashboard as Space" as resolved the immediate issue for me.

Stephen

0 Kudos
MontresorCask
Contributor
Contributor

Geez - it's Oct 29 and this is still an issue?  Wonder if Parallels is more responsive to identified issues?

0 Kudos