VMware Cloud Community
kinga8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Download Location for Get-Stat2 ?

We've recently begun introducing slower SATA storage from our SAN, along with LUNs stored on the top-tier FC and I have been looking for a way to track latency so we can baseline performance as we go and be in a spot where can hopefully spot performace problems. Get-Stat doesn't seem to offer the latency metrics I was hoping to find. I ran across some posts about a cmdlet called Get-Stat2 (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1167777). This looks like it would do the trick; but the linked location (http://communities-origin.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8440) doesn't seem to exist any longer.

Does anyone have the current link or location where I can get a copy?

Thanks!

Arron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Get-Stat cmdlet in PowerCLI v4 doesn't have an -Instance parameter like I had in my Get-Stat2 script.

It uses a different policy, it always returns all the instances and the aggregate value (where available).

See my reply in for an example on getting the instances for cpu.usage.average.

The Get-Stat2 script is published in

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Luc's comment mentioned that instances weren't supported at the time. 4.0 does support instances, so maybe this script is not needed any longer? Have you tried specifying an instance when looking for these stats?

kinga8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks c_shanklin! We're going to be on 3.5 for a while. I've tried to specify an instance; but get an error "A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'instance'" I thought get-stat2 would fulfill the need until we upgrade.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The document that contained the Get-Stat2 script was removed some weeks ago due to an error in the forum SW.

Since I didn't think anyone would need that script anymore I didn't make it available again.

You do know that you can use PowerCLI v4 in a VI 2.5/ESX 3.5 environment ?

Did you try getting the instance with the Get-Stat from PowerCLI v4 ?

If you still need the script I can make it available again.

kinga8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! I didn't realize I could use PowerCLI v4 with older versions of ESX. I've upgraded but am still getting an error about passing the instance as a parameter. I am using the syntax I saw used with get-stat2, not sure if it is correct. I've not seen a reference that shows how to supply an instance to get-stat

$ESX = Get-VMhost "esxhost.foo.com"
get-stat -entity $ESX -stat "device.WriteLatency" -instance "vmhba1:2:6"

Get-Stat : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'instance'.

Perhaps passing an instance is only available on ESX 4 hosts?

Would you mind posting get-stat2? it looks ver useful, and I'd like to give that a try..

Thanks!

Arron

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Get-Stat cmdlet in PowerCLI v4 doesn't have an -Instance parameter like I had in my Get-Stat2 script.

It uses a different policy, it always returns all the instances and the aggregate value (where available).

See my reply in for an example on getting the instances for cpu.usage.average.

The Get-Stat2 script is published in

0 Kudos
kinga8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@LucD - Thanks that did the trick! Your time and help are much appreciated!

0 Kudos