VMware Cloud Community
MrSpock77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Move-VM error: The operation is not supported on the object

Hello,

I am trying to move a VM from a local datastore to another local datastore on the same ESXi host, but I get this error:

get-vm testvm2 | move-vm -Datastore backup

Move-VM : 2009-03-09 23:13:31 Move-VM 52d6b028-da2a-038d-21ab-dee26de3d445 The operation is not supported on the object. At line:1 char:25 + get-vm testvm2 | move-vm <<<< -Datastore backup + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Smiley Happy , NotSupportedException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_MoServiceImpl_Invoke_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.Commands.MoveVM

The VM is powered off. I do not have a VMotion license, but that shouldn't be necessary as the VM is powered off, right?

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Datastore moves through Move-VM require a Storage VMotion license, regardless of whether the VM is powered on or not.

Does this work through VI Client? I don't think it does, but I could be mistaken.

MrSpock77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I reverted to my evaluation license, which hadn't expired yet, but the command didn't succeed anyway. Doesn't that count as a VMotion license (at least during evaluation)?

If I cannot use Move-VM, what's the proper way of moving my VM from one datastore to another?

The VI Client doesn't have any "move option" without Virtual Center I think.

0 Kudos