VMware Cloud Community
olczak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New-TagAssignment : issue in Linkedmode when same TAG is existing in 2 VC

Hi,

I have 2 Vcenter 5.1 in LinkedMode having the same TAGs defined in each vCenter.

I noticed that executing a Get-Tag in a PowerCli windows connected to 1 of the vCenter, TAGs from both vCenter are listed: TAGs with same name are then listed twice.

Now the issue is that using the New-Tagassignment -Tag will fail with error message:

New-TagAssignment : 11/29/2013 12:22:18 PM   New-TagAssignment    The specified parameter 'Tag' expects a single value, but your name critetia 'TOTO' corresponds to multiple values.

I have not been able to capture a unique value from Get-Tag that could be used after in New-TagAssignment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The Tag parameter on the New-TagAssignment cmdlet expect a single object.

SInce you are running in multiple mode, the Get-Tag cmdlet returned at least 2 objects.

You should use the tag that is returned from the vCenter that also hosts the Entity that you want to use in the New-TagAssignment.

Do that by using the Server parameter on the Get-Tag cmdlet.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
olczak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried using the -Server parameter and specifying the vCenter the powercli is currently connected too and also where the VM is registered too: it does exactly the same error with mutliple value message.

Also if you do a Get-Tag -Server  VC_hostname, you still have TAGs from both VCs listed.

Would it be a bug in these new TAG commandlet?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Could be. I'll see if I can reproduce this.

0 Kudos
olczak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Luc,

By any chance did you have time to reproduce it and confirm if it is a cmdlet issue or if the issue is in my environment?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

No, I couldn't reproduce this, but then my VCs are not on the same version.

I'll have to schedule an update :smileygrin: