VMware Cloud Community
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

Powered-off VM's residing on which data store with powered-off date and array name

Hi Everyone,

I have a list of powered-off VM's and want to delete to reclaim space,but before that want to check VM's residing on which data store name (e.g. DS_VMAX_Win) and second from the powered-off VM's list with data store name, and powered-off date.3rd, if its possible to find out if the VM's residing on a data store name ( Example - VM's running on VMAX_Oracle) are coming from which storage array. Example VMAX1011 or powremax2025 etc.

thanks

v

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Try something like this.

Note1: I used my Get-VIEventPlus function since it should normally be way faster than the Get-VIEvent cmdlet.

The function is attached.

Note2: I don't have access to a vMAX, but afaik queries to such a storage array should be possible through symcli

I did list the LUN CanonicalNames for the datastores

Get-VM -Name (Get-Content -Path .\vmnames.txt) |

ForEach-Object -Process {

New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property ([ordered]@{

VM         = $_.Name

Datastore  = (Get-Datastore -RelatedObject $_).Name -join ' | '

LUN        = ((Get-Datastore -RelatedObject $_).ExtensionData.Info.Vmfs.Extent.DiskName |

Sort-Object -Unique) -join ' | '

PoweredOff = Get-VIEventPlus -Entity $_ -EventType 'VmPoweredOffEvent' |

Sort-Object -Property CreatedTime |

Select-Object -Last 1 | Select-Object -ExpandProperty CreatedTime

})

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

Do i need the import the module for Eventplus ? using Cli PS D:\vmk> .\Get-VIEventPlus.ps1

thanks

v

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That .ps1 file is not a module, just a .ps1 file with a function.

There are 2 options:

• dot-source the .ps1 file in your script

. .\Get-VIEventPlus.ps1
  • insert the code from Get-VIEventPlus.ps1 at the start of your script

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

Yes, i tried using import module command, instead of using . .\Get-VIEventPlus.ps1 but powered-off VM's event not showing. Apart from this im getting the report like VM name,Data store name,LUN NAA ID etc.

thanks

v

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

It depends when the VM was last powered off.
If that event is older than the maximum retention date for Events on your vCenter, you will not get any events back.

0 Kudos