VMware Cloud Community
pizzim13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Scanning HBA's

I am comparing running esxcfg-rescan <vmkernel SCSI adapter name> from the host via the console/SSH to using powercli, logging into the host and running Get-VMHostStorage -RescanAllHba. Do these two commands use the same mechanism to do the rescan or are they separate mechanisms that accomplish the same goal?

The reason for asking this question is that running the rescan all from vCenter or Get-VMHostStorage -RescanAllHba while connected vCenter to discover new LUNs doesn't always work. The new LUNs will not appear on all the hosts. Only by restarting the host or running esxcfg-rescan <vmkernel SCSI adapter name> from the host resolves this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you use Onyx and use the Get-VMHostStorage cmdlet, you will see that it uses the RescanAllHba method.

And as far as I can tell, the esxcfg-rescan command uses the same method under the covers.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you use Onyx and use the Get-VMHostStorage cmdlet, you will see that it uses the RescanAllHba method.

And as far as I can tell, the esxcfg-rescan command uses the same method under the covers.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
pizzim13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent.  Thanks for the help

0 Kudos