VMware Cloud Community
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Script to get Multiple vCenters RVtools Report via email in single attachement

Hi All,

i was using the Rvtools cmd script to get vCenter Rvtools report of one vCenter. Now i have requirement to get the vCenter RVtools report for multiple vCenters in single attached email , is there any one using such script.  please help

Raju Gunnal VCP 4, VCP 5, VTSP 4, VTSP 5, ITIL V3 http://www.techtosolution.com
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks LucD for the quick response as always.

i was running it as PS1 getting below error any thing am missing.

PS D:\RVtoolsScript> .\RvtoolsScript.ps1
Send-MailMessage : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Attachments'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an
argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
At D:\RVtoolsScript\RvtoolsScript.ps1:19 char:102
+ ... rver -Subject 'RVTools reports' -To $to -From $from -Attachments $att
+ ~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Send-MailMessage], ParameterBindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SendMailMessage

Script

$ExportPath = 'D:\RVtoolsScript'

$Servers = '10.10.10.11','10.10.10.12'

$Servers | %{

. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Robware\RVTools\RVTools.exe" -passthroughAuth -s "$($_)" -c ExportAll2xls -d
"$($ExportPath)" -f "RVTools-$($_)"

}

$smtpServer = 'smtpapp.abc.com'

$to = 'myemail@email.com'

$from = 'VxRailRvtools@email.com'

$att = Get-ChildItem -Path $ExportPath -Filter RVTools*.xlsx | select -ExpandProperty FullName

Send-MailMessage -SmtpServer $smtpServer -Subject 'RVTools reports' -To $to -From $from -Attachments $att

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Are there any files in that export folder at all?
According to the error message it seems no files were produced.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No Excel files generated in Export folder. the same path mentioned in script.ps1 file.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like the recent versions of RVTools have a problem with that code.
In the logs I see 

DEBUG RVTools.FMain ExportAllorOne2XLSStartedFromCommandLine Handled Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Instead of debugging that error, I updated my code based on the RVToolsBatchMultipleVCs.ps1 script that is included in the RVTools package.
That seems to work for me.

$ExportPath = 'C:\Temp'
$Servers = 'vcenter1','vcenter2'
$Servers | ForEach-Object {
  Write-Host "vCenter : $($_)"
  $sProcess = @{
    FilePath = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Robware\RVTools\RVTools.exe"
    ArgumentList = "-passthroughAuth -s $($_) -c ExportAll2xls -d $($ExportPath) -f RVTools-$($_) -DBColumnNames -ExcludeCustomAnnotations"
    NoNewWindow = $true
    Wait = $true
  }
  $process = Start-Process @sProcess
  if ($Process.ExitCode -eq -1) {
    Write-Host "vCenter : $($_)"
    Write-Host "Error: Export failed! RVTools returned exitcode -1, probably a connection error! Script is stopped" -ForegroundColor Red
    exit 1
  }
}

$smtpServer = 'mail.lucd.info'
$to = 'lucd@lucd.info'
$from = 'lucd@lucd.info'
$att = Get-ChildItem -Path $ExportPath -Filter RVTools*.xlsx | select -ExpandProperty FullName
Send-MailMessage -SmtpServer $smtpServer -Subject 'RVTools reports' -To $to -From $from -Attachments $att

You can of course also use the RVToolsBatchMultipleVCs.ps1 script that Rob provides.

0 Kudos
rGunnal
Contributor
Contributor

Seems same attachment error. its unable to generate the file.

PS D:\RVtoolsScript> .\RvtoolsScript.ps1
vCenter : 10.11.126.32
vCenter : 10.11.126.40
Send-MailMessage : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Attachments'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an
At D:\RVtoolsScript\RvtoolsScript.ps1:24 char:102
+ ~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Send-MailMessage], ParameterBindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SendMailMessage

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Then you have to find out why the reports are not generated.
Might be an authentication issue.

0 Kudos
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Looks like yes, can we add lines which will ask for vCenter authentication and store.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Instead of passthrough, you could try with user/password.
Just change the ArgumentList accordingly

ArgumentList = "–u Administrator –p password -s $($_) -c ExportAll2xls -d $($ExportPath) -f RVTools-$($_) -DBColumnNames -ExcludeCustomAnnotations"

0 Kudos
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks LucD,

think am almost there. seems something minutee am missing. i added ArgumentList with -U user id and -p  password. but its unable to authenticate. i already tried putting user id and password in single inverted comma ' and double inverted comma " , its still unable to authenticate..

any thing am missing here.

ArgumentList = "–u userid@abc.com –p password@123 -s $($_) -c ExportAll2xls -d $($ExportPath) -f RVTools-$($_) -DBColumnNames -ExcludeCustomAnnotations"

At D:\RVtoolsScript\RvtoolsScript.ps1:24 char:102
+ ~~~~

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Not that I can see.
Can you connect when you run RVTools interactively?

0 Kudos
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

with RVtools when i try login its connecting. is the Argumentlist line anything more need to be added are we missing something there.

ArgumentList = "–u Administrator –p password -s $($_) -c ExportAll2xls -d $($ExportPath) -f RVTools-$($_) -DBColumnNames -ExcludeCustomAnnotations"

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You could try to encrypt the password, see Solved: Re: RVTOOLS Automation with Secure Authentication - VMware Technology Network VMTN

0 Kudos
ajkumar194
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please help me with this attached error. how to overcome from this error

Send-MailMessage : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Attachments'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
At line:24 char:102
+ ~~~~

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Here is the script ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ $ExportPath = 'C:\Temp' $Servers = 'VBVACSOSMAVC01.vsmainfra.local' $Servers | ForEach-Object { Write-Host "vCenter : $($_)" $sProcess = @{ FilePath = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Robware\RVTools\RVTools.exe" ArgumentList = "–u Administrator –p password -s $($_) -c ExportAll2xls -d $($ExportPath) -f RVTools-$($_) -DBColumnNames -ExcludeCustomAnnotations" NoNewWindow = $true Wait = $true } $process = Start-Process @sProcess if ($Process.ExitCode -eq -1) { Write-Host "vCenter : $($_)" Write-Host "Error: Export failed! RVTools returned exitcode -1, probably a connection error! Script is stopped" -ForegroundColor Red exit 1 } } $smtpServer = '57.203.253.19' $to = @('om.himanshu@orange.com';'ajay.kumar@orange.com';'frederic.laval@orange.com';'frederic.assemat.ext@orange.com') $from = 'noreply.vcenter_vsma@orange.com' $att = Get-ChildItem -Path $ExportPath -Filter RVTools*.xlsx | select -ExpandProperty FullName Send-MailMessage -SmtpServer $smtpServer -Subject 'RVTools reports' -To $to -From $from -Attachments $att
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That seems to indicate that there are no files fitting the filter in the folder defined in $exportPath

0 Kudos
Mmanjunath
Contributor
Contributor

May i get the example to add the credentials for multiple vcenters

0 Kudos