VMware Cloud Community
jkb5054
Contributor
Contributor

VM Provisioned History

HI all,

I am looking to generate a report every month that will show the AVERAGE provisoned vCPUs and Memory in GB of a VM every month (or 30 days).

Is this something that someone might already have? This is to be used to see what a pay-per-use method would look like for my infrastructure.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

A couple of questions.

Is that the number of vCPUs or the average usage percentage of the vCPUs ?

Do you want 1 average number for vCPU and memory for the entire month, or a value for each interval ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
jkb5054
Contributor
Contributor

The number of Virtual vCPUs.

And I wish to have 1 average number.

0 Kudos
jkb5054
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this made sense for you LucD. Perhaps this would help.

I am looking to get something like this:

VMNAME
AVG vCPU for 30 days
AVG MEM(GB) for 30 days
VMNAME13.54
VMNAME21.753.5

anything with a decimal shows that a change occured in the resource allocation of this VM,

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I see what you are trying to do, but I'm afraid that is not readily available.

With one of the CPU metrics we can determine the number of vCPUs that a VM is using, but this would require that you have statistics level 3 defined for Historical Interval 3 (Past Month). Is that the case in your environment ?

There is no metric that gives the configured memory for a VM I'm afraid.

There are some memory metrics that could give a good approximation, but that will depend on how scarce the memory resource in your environment is.

There is an alternative in that you use the events to track all CPU and memory configuration changes for the VM.

Working backwards in time, it will show when one of these resources was added or taken away.

See my Events – Part 3 : Auditing VM device changes post.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos