VMware Cloud Community
PorzioM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

get a list of Hosts with syslog settings?

I am going to be changeing the port of our syslog server. I can accomplish this with the following:

Set-VMHostSysLogServer -SysLogServer 'x.x.x.x:xxx' -VMHost '*'

After I ran this I wanted to doublecheck that everything was done. WHen I run the following I only get the syslog server and port but not the name of the host. How can I get it to display name of the host as well? maybe even export to csv?

Get-VMHost | Get-VMHostSysLogServer

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You should be able to do that with a calculated property

Get-VMHost | Select Name,@{N="Syslog server";E={Get-VMHostSysLogServer -VMHost $_}}

And to export the data to a CSV file, just use the pipeline

Get-VMHost | Select Name,@{N="Syslog server";E={Get-VMHostSysLogServer -VMHost $_}} |

Export-Csv "C:\report.csv" -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You should be able to do that with a calculated property

Get-VMHost | Select Name,@{N="Syslog server";E={Get-VMHostSysLogServer -VMHost $_}}

And to export the data to a CSV file, just use the pipeline

Get-VMHost | Select Name,@{N="Syslog server";E={Get-VMHostSysLogServer -VMHost $_}} |

Export-Csv "C:\report.csv" -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

0 Kudos
PorzioM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks.

I ran into an issue when setting the syslog server the way I was going about it. When I use the following script if I hit a host taht is not connected to vCenter the whole script stops working and give me an error, at least I think thats what is happening. here is what I am using and about half way through the following error comes up. do you have a better way to accomplish this? thanks.

Set-VMHostSysLogServer -SysLogServer '10.2.6.32:515' -VMHost '*'

Set-VMHostSysLogServer : 1/4/2012 10:26:59 AM    Set-VMHostSysLogServer        Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
At line:1 char:23
+ Set-VMHostSysLogServer <<<<  -SysLogServer '10.2.6.32:515' -VMHost '*'
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-VMHostSysLogServer], VimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.SetVMHostSysLogServer

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try it this way

Get-VMHost | Set-VMHostSysLogServer -SysLogServer 1.1.1.1 -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue 

0 Kudos
PorzioM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I ended up doing it this way... proably a cleaner way to do it, but this worked.

$Hosts = Get-VMHost
ForEach ($Hostname in $Hosts)
    {
    Set-VMHostSysLogServer -SysLogServer 'x.x.x.x:xxx' -VMHost $Hostname
    write "Syslog Server was changed on $Hostname"
    }

0 Kudos