VMware VMUG Community
glowee
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi backups with ghettoVCB to Windows 2003 NFS Failing

Greetings - this is my first post/question and I hope someone can help me.

I have an environment with 3 ESXi hosts. One is running ESXi 4.0 and the other two are running 4.1. I have several servers (ubuntu & windows) that over time I plan to virtualize and run on each ESXi host. Basically the procedure I'm following is to virtualize a server, take the former production server offline momentarilly, bring up the new virtualized server and then back it up using ghettoVCB to a Windows 2003 NFS share. If the backup works then I leave it to run as production and then decomission the former. The procedure has worked flawlessly for me as I have several servers spread evenly across all three ESXi hosts.

I seem to have run into a bit of a snag with one server in particular. I'm trying to backup a server that I have virtualized but it constantly fails in the same spot over and over. It get's to 15% complete and then jumps to 49%, fails and I see the NFS share go offline. I have tried and reproduced this error on both the 4.1 ESXi hosts. Strange thing is - it works on the ESXi host running version 4.0.

Ultimately I will be going to v 4.1 and need to get this corrected. Is there a patch I'm missing? Has anyone else run into a problem using ghettoVCB and it failing to backup the VM to a Windows NFS share?

0 Kudos
0 Replies