VMware Performance Community
oporras
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMmark3 tiles do I run for 150VM?

If I want to run 150VM how many tiles do I run?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, each VMmark3 tile runs 19 VMs on the SUT (system under test) cluster.

7 tiles will run 133 VMs.

8 tiles will run 152 VMs.

Thank you,

Rebecca

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, each VMmark3 tile runs 19 VMs on the SUT (system under test) cluster.

7 tiles will run 133 VMs.

8 tiles will run 152 VMs.

Thank you,

Rebecca

oporras
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you determine the number of VMs.
With 240 cpu, 7.5TB of ram and 16TB of storage, how many Tiles can I run?

thank

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi oporras,

VMmark 3 is typically used to run as many tiles as possible in a cluster and still achieve a passing score.

To find a rough estimate of how many tiles your cluster will support, you can look at the VMmark results page. Try filtering results by the total number of cores you have in your cluster. You may also be able to find a published VMmark result which uses the same or similar processor to your cluster, and extrapolate the number of tiles.

You are also thinking about the memory and storage requirements for VMmark, that is good.

Check the "System Requirements" on the VMmark website https://www.vmware.com/products/vmmark.html as it lists the amount of memory and storage needed for each tile.

After you provision VMmark 3 with the tiles you calculated, see whether the run passed or failed (see the VMmark User's Guide for details). 

If it passed, you need to provision more tiles so you can find the largest number of tiles that passes.

If it failed you need to run VMmark 3 with one less tile. Continue until you have a passing run.

0 Kudos