VMware Communities
sueii
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Intel VT-xmigh tbe disabled

I'm running VMWare Workstation 16 Player on Windows  10.

All has been running well. Suddenly, today when  I try to start a VM,  any VM, I get an error saying "Intel VT-x might be disabled.  Verify the BIOS  firmware settings" .

I  have made no BIOs or firmware changes nor changes to VMWare.    

What has happened?

Sue

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sueii
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally got the solution.  My CMOS battery  had run  out.  This made BIOS  settings  revert  to default, which was for  Intel-x to be supported but disabled.   Once  I changed the battery,  I  could change  to enabled  in  battery and I'm good.

Thanks   for  your help

Sue

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@sueii,

With this error, it appears that virtualization (VT-x) got disabled on startup. Ideally windows systems have virtualization disabled by default at the BIOS level, so it needs to be enabled to run a virtual machine.

Please follow the steps below to enable virtualization:

• Power ON or Restart your host computer.
  • Enter the BIOS setup by pressing the F2 or Del or Enter The key may vary depending on your computer system model; please follow the on-screen instruction during Power ON.
  • Look for an option labeled Virtualization Technology or Intel® Virtualization Technology under the CPU Configurations, System Configurations, Advanced, or Security tab, then check if the option is enabled or disabled.
  • If the option is disabled, enable it.
  • Save the BIOS settings and Boot into Windows by pressing the F10. The key may vary depending on your system model.

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos
sueii
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Shen,

So I entered BIOS and found a setting for VT-x  but it  just  says   "Supported" .   There doesn't seem to be a way to change it  to enabled  or disabled. 

Sue

0 Kudos
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@sueii,

Cool, if it shows supported then depending on the system vendor you will need to find a way to enable the same. Sometimes you might have to update your BIOS firmware too, I would suggest to reach out to your system vendor support for help.

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos
sueii
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally got the solution.  My CMOS battery  had run  out.  This made BIOS  settings  revert  to default, which was for  Intel-x to be supported but disabled.   Once  I changed the battery,  I  could change  to enabled  in  battery and I'm good.

Thanks   for  your help

Sue

0 Kudos