VMware Communities
Zorg292
Contributor
Contributor

Problem - VM can't see host, host can't see VM

First of all a total noob in using and setuping VMware player here :smileygrin:

Now I have a problem that I can't seem to overcome. Here is it -

I'm using Qemu ver.0.7.2. with VMware player ver.3.1.3-324285. I have a winHP on Host machine and win2003 on guest machine(win2003 installed on VM). Now since I'm using this at work we have a fixed IP adresses used on computers so I had to manually change TCP/IP data on both host and guest NIC - IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and preferred DNS.

On host machine I changed info for VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 and for guess machine for Local Area Connection (since there is only this NIC)

And after that I was able to access internet from VM (which I couldn't do before).

I forgot to mention that I was able to ping all computers in workgroup from both host and guess even before manually setting IP address.

After manually setting IP address I'm able to ping everything from guess machine

Now the problem is that I can't access host machine from VM or VM from host machine.

I can see all other computers in wokrgroup and access them from both host and guess but transfer between host and guess is not available.

example - I have attached 2 pictures

VM to host.jpg - its all other computerin workgroup (which is called FARAMLOGIST) that I can access

VM to host 2.jpg - when I try to acces my host computer (Sinisha_G)

I tried searcing for the solution for the past couple of days but was unable to find it.

I also attached 1 picture - ipconfig /all runned on my host computer.

If its needed I can attach more pictures.

Anyone had similar problem?

Or more importantly - solution? :smileygrin:

/tnx all in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Zorg292
Contributor
Contributor

forgot to mention that network adapter in VMware player is set to bridged

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you have assigned strange IPs !

assigning x.x.x.19 to the virtual nic for vmnet8 breaks the NAT-service.

Do not modify the last number of that IP - leave it at x.x.x.1

You also assigned the physical nic that uses vmnet0 to the same IP range as you use for NAT - that will not fly and produce all kinds of hard to troubleshoot problems.

I would recommend to reset vmnetcfg.exe to defaults and completely start over.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

Zorg292
Contributor
Contributor

"You also assigned the physical nic that uses vmnet0 to the same IP range as you use for NAT"

Hm wellI had to do it like that since when all was on default I couldn't access internet from VM. So I changed all those data cause of that reason.I didn't know that by doing it I'll break NAT service.

I can reset

vmnetcfg.exe to defaults but how can I enable internet on VM then?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

but how can I enable internet on VM then?

You should be able to use either Bridged or NAT depending on the Network Environment you're in. NAT basically should just work, out of the box so to speak, without you having to modify its defaults. Bridged will either require receiving its IP Address, etc from the Physical LAN's DHCP Server or you properly configuring the Guest's Network Adapter within the Guest OS.

This is not rocket science and is Basic Networking 101. Also you might want to read Configuring a Virtual Network in the Workstation User Manual, which for the most part is also applicable to VMware Player, to gain a better understanding of Virtual Networking. Also have a look at Advanced Virtual Networking to gain even more incite to Virtual Networking.

Zorg292
Contributor
Contributor

Sigh... feel ashamed now...

Problem was that the ESET firewall was enabled all the time and bridged mode didn't work cause of that.

After reading a bit about all possible solutions, I barely noticed that damn forewall is up and that its causing problems.

Anyway tnx to all who replied, I learned a lot from reading all the topics about my problem.

0 Kudos