VMware Communities
gianpox
Contributor
Contributor

USB 3.0 external hard drives is not working on Fedora 25 as guest and Windows 10 as host.

Hi there!

I am trying to understand why my external hard drives are not working on a virtualized Fedora 25 executed on my Windows 10 Pro used as host. The software version is VMware Workstation 12 Player 12.5.4 build-5192485. "VMware Tools" are correctly installed.

When I try to connect a simple USB 3.0 flash drive, such as a Kingston Datatraveler, it works perfectly while when I try to connect my hard drives using two different external USB 3.0 enclosures (one with ASMedia as chipset and the other with JMicron) they don't work. The device is correctly shown on "Removable devices" list but when I try to connect it to the guest it is visible only through "lsusb" command but not on "fdisk" and so on.

I tried to use an external USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure and all works fine with that.

"VMware USB Arbitration Service" is running normally; none abnormal error message is shown by the guest as well as by the host. I already tried to change virtual machine USB controller settings to USB 2.0 but the issue is always present.

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed? Thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies