VMware Communities
AndyCar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMPlayer conflicts with WWAN module on HP Mini netbooks - how to escalate as bug?

On a HP Mini 5101 netbook, the built-in WWAN module (Qualcomm - HP un2400 Mobile Broadband module) will not connect when the VMPlayer is installed. The player does not need to be running, only to be installed. If the player is uninstalled, the WWAN module runs. The bluetooth/wifi modules are unaffected.

Not doing this for geek factor, but to run a VM of our CMDB application on netbook in case of loss of access to data centre and DR site.

HP livechat helped but concluded because a third party app is conflicting with the Qualcomm WWAN module it is the third parties problem. We stopped processes/services but could not workaround.

I have seen a few similar reports on google with HP notebooks and WWAN.

Environment is Windows 7. Latest WWAN drivers, VMWare Player. Symptoms are HP Connection Manager will run, but when powered on comes up with "select provider" message. Once you try to connect with HP Coonection manager PC will not shut down (except with hard power off).

How do I escalate this to VM as a bug between the Player software and the WWAN module.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piwi65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is an new Version of the HP Connection Manager (V.3.1.3.11) which solves the problems. With a NAT configuration the network adapter is also usable in a virtual maschine...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
piwi65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same Problem with my HP6930p, Win7pro64bit... as described some threads before.

I think there is a conflict caused by the VM USB arbitrage service witch will hopefully be corrected in further versions.

That will be the compromises we have to accept when we use an new System.

by the way: The HP WWAN environment with the Module, The connection Manager an the Qualcomm driver ist not an evolution but an devolution compared with the former modules and software services.

With the old module i needed about 30 seconds to get a connection with the german T-Mobile Internet. Now i need 2 minutes at least... (start the Drivers, find the module, change the provider etc etc...).

0 Kudos
GiuseppeG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have the same problem too with my setup: HP nc6320 + huawei e1692 + windows 7 32bit.

I hope this will be fixed in a future release of vmware player.

Giuseppe | vExpert 2011, 2012 | @gguglie | http://virtualbyte.wordpress.com | | If you find this post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
Jason_Ambrose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue.

Environment is Windows 7, on a HPEliteBook 8530p. Latest WWAN drivers, VMWare Workstation 7.01, and or Player. Symptoms are HP Connection Manager will run, but when powered on comes up with "select provider" message. Once you try to connect with HP Connection manager PC will not shut down (except with hard power off).

Anyone have a workaround for this until an actual fix is available?

0 Kudos
piwi65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is an new Version of the HP Connection Manager (V.3.1.3.11) which solves the problems. With a NAT configuration the network adapter is also usable in a virtual maschine...

0 Kudos
AndyCar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the notification.

I had to uninstall the VMPlayer and the HP Connection Manager and then reinstall HP Connection Manager and VMPlayer (in that order) and now both the WWAN and VMPlayer are working.

Good job VMWare community!

0 Kudos