VMware Communities
ShaneFellows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWARE PLAYER QUESTIONS?

We have an Windows XP pro 32 bit system that was converted into a system image using VMware Server, unknown version.    When the image was created the following files were produced, shown in the form of snippet below.  Can anyone tell me why it would create two separate file extensions during that process.   The ultimate goal is to get this image to run inside of vmplayer 6 and I am having the hardest time getting this to work.  It's my understanding that the .vmdk files are the key here.  Do I need to rename the .vmd files to .vmdk extensions or do vice versa?  Do I need to place all of these files into the c:\\ Libraries\Documents\Virtual Machines\WindowsXpPro  directory?  What do I need to remove from that directory after the creation of the machine?

Since this is was created using VMware server does it count as a restricted machine? Will I need to purchase VMware player plus to make this work?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If all the files required for a given VM exist in the same folder then all that is required to start the VM is to use Player > File > Open... and select the .vmx configuration file or simply double-click the .vmx configuration file from Windows Explorer! Smiley Wink  If it doesn't load and run properly then something is wrong and will need further information to investigate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From a first view, I'd say yes, rename the .vmd files to .vmdk and take a look at the "Windows 98.vmdk" to see whether all .vmdk files mentioned there are available. Then delete the .vmem, .vmss and the .lck files

André

ShaneFellows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On the Windows 7 machine that will be running VMplayer 6, the following files were created during the creation of the

machine using player.  Do I need to delete all of these, rename the files from above, copy all of them into this directory, delete the files you mentioned .vmss etc?  Think that will work?

machine.  Capture1.PNG

0 Kudos
ShaneFellows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to update this thread the process described above did not allow the virtual machine to launch using VMware player 6.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If all the files required for a given VM exist in the same folder then all that is required to start the VM is to use Player > File > Open... and select the .vmx configuration file or simply double-click the .vmx configuration file from Windows Explorer! Smiley Wink  If it doesn't load and run properly then something is wrong and will need further information to investigate.

0 Kudos
ShaneFellows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ had the correct answer and AP.  First I had to rename the .vmd files to .vmdk files, Then  I was able to get the virtual machine working simply by removing the unnecessary files.  Below is the snippet of the files that I left in place and by doubleclicking the vmx config file it launched just fine.  Thank you Woody and AP.  I was trying to create a new machine and then change file locations, I kept getting either permission or missing file errors.  This method worked just fine.  I will present it to the client simply as a shortcut on their desktop. Thank you again.

Capture2.PNG

0 Kudos