VMware Communities
G2010
Contributor
Contributor

Win XP login window problem

Hello All,

Using VMPlayer 2.5.5 on host Win2000-SP4 with guest WinXP-SP3.

Following annoying behavior. When the machine is started it shows the windows login screen with account name 'Administrator' and empty password field. However something has already pushed the 'Enter' key and a pop-up is up saying that the password is wrong. That is of course correct as I gave the Admin account a new password. I have the feeling that VWPlayer 'sticks' an erroneous 'Enter' keystroke into the keyboard buffer. That key stroke is then causing the login error message popup.

I know from my othe Win XP laptop that Win XP comes up with the login window account name often pre-filled in. But I have never seen it having already automatcally pressed the 'enter' function.

Of course it would be best if I could get a normal user account login to show at the launch screen. Preferably the user who last logged out.

How can I do that in the VM Player?

Thanks,

Gert

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have the feeling that VWPlayer 'sticks' an erroneous 'Enter' keystroke into the keyboard buffer. That key stroke is then causing the login error message popup.

VMware Player is not sending an Enter keystroke and this is not a VMware Player issue per se.  It is probably a Windows Auto Login issue and as such executing this Disable_AutoAdminLogon.reg file from within Windows XP should resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
G2010
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this to the WinXP.

I found the correct solution here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/noautologon.htm

Following step 3 is solving the issue.

Click Start, Run and type rundll32 netplwiz.dll,ClearAutoLogon

I am wondernig why this is the install status of XP. It's not intuitive.

I do not remember in the WinXP install that this issue was asked for user choice input.

Must be a Microsoft bug.

Best,

Gert

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Are you saying the Disable_AutoAdminLogon.reg file did not work or you didn't try it or you fix it before I replied?

0 Kudos