VMware Communities
vmware6666
Contributor
Contributor

bug: vmplayer 3.0 suspends but doesn't resume

Hi!

For some reason, I was unable to start my Windows 98 virtual machine yesterday; clicking on it said 'this machine is suspended' (paraphrased), and there was no button or icon for resuming. Eventually, I had to delete the *.vmem and *.vdss files, at which point I could start it up.

If you're going to remove the suspend/resume feature from vmplayer to distinguish it from regular vmware, please make sure users can't get stuck like this.

This was a fresh install of windows 98 on a fresh install of vmware 3.0 on a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 (fully updated). This was done over the phone with my dad, who's only a bit computer literate. It didn't give him a good impression of the software or virtual machines in general. And it didn't help that the reason we were doing this was because his windows 98 partition was accidentally deleted by me. Aggravation and frustration and family, oh my.

I'm not sure how he got it to suspend, and suspect (heck, I know) it was something simple; unintentional even.

Hope this bug report helps somebody!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hmmm - maybe given the fact that this was a session over the phone ....

did you actually asked your dad to try the start button ? - there is no resume button.

Anyway - rest assured that this feature was not removed in the free vmplayer-version.

Next time check if there are any lock files which may prevent the VM from starting up

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos