VMware Communities
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

15.5.5 installation fails (machine had 12.5 before)

Hello,

I'm trying to install VMWare Workstation 15.5 on my dev laptop.

This machine had previously 12.5 PRO.

I uninstalled 12.5 because I needed Docker.

In the past, Docker needed HyperV so I uninstalled 12.5 for HyperV (because of the incompatibility between HyperV and VMWare).

I uninstalled Hyper V to comeback to 12.5 but I had a message : 12.5 is not compatible with this version of Windows.I purchased the upgrade to 15.5 When I install, it fails during the virtual network setup.

No log, no more message. I don't know what to do...

See : Video capture

Could you help me ?
Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The very last on-screen message prior to when your installation rolls back is when the keyboard driver is being installed:

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 11.32.38.png

15.5.6 was released this week, as it included a fix related to keyboard issues it's worth trying that version: Download VMware Workstation Pro

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Thanks for your help...

I downloaded and launched install.
Similar issue.

Workstation 15.5.6 install issue - YouTube

Best regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you start the installation in elevated mode, i.e. "Run as Administrator"?

What should help to find out what's causing the rollback are the installation log files.

André

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Certainely

I also try with antivirus disabled...
I need to know what I have to delete in registry to solve the problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A few versions back, the Workstation installer had the option /clean, as in the instructions in the VMware Knowledge Base . Apparently this switch is deprecated in version 15.x.x, as is evidenced in How to remove VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.1 for Windows manually

It would be nice if the engineers reactivated this switch for future versions of Workstation - it was the best way to clean a system when everything else failed.

Given the possibility that your problem is OS-related and you have problems with the .msi installer subsystem, you can try running the Program Install or Uninstall Troubleshooter as described in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

This troubleshooter replaced the Windows Installer CleanUp utility, which was priceless until 2010 when it was discontinued.

0 Kudos