VMware Communities
jrich523
Contributor
Contributor

7.1.4 Unity limited to guest resolution

i am able to in to unity mode just fine but once im in it, any app opened is limited to the space of the guest desktop. for example i run 1920x1200 on my machine and the VM as 1280x1024, when i go in to unity and open notepad for example, i can only move notepad around in the space of 1280x1024 starting from the top left.

i realize i can just change the res of the guest, but i run multiple monitors so its a little harder than that. this worked fine for a while. not sure what caused it to stop working. i've updated both vmware and tools with no luck.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
bsimmers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What host OS are you running? It looks like your guest is Windows XP, is that correct?

0 Kudos
jrich523
Contributor
Contributor

win 7 x 64 with a xp 32 bit VM, sorry i didnt include that in the first post.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hm. Could you attach the vmware.log for this VM (in the VM directory) and also the UI log when you get a chance when this happens? Also, try updating tools in the XP guest to the latest. And do you have VM Settings > Display > Use host monitors checked or have you changed that? And lastly, can you try shutting down the XP guest, then make sure both monitors are present in the host and enabled, and then power on the VM and try this again?

0 Kudos
mbeierl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue in after the 7.1.4 upgrade, but with Windows 7 64bit as the guest, and Ubuntu 10.10 as the host.  Upgrading vmware tools and rebooting the windows box (why, oh why can't they fix that?!?) did the trick.

Oh.  Scratch that.  Still confined when I maximize a window - it goes to the guest maximum resolution, and moving windows out of the guest "virtual desktop" causes the window to stop rendering until it is dragged back into the spot where the guest desktop size is.

0 Kudos
jrich523
Contributor
Contributor

i uninstalled and reinstalled the tools (rebooting the vm between each). 

display is set to host.

i've attached the log

I found this

Apr 08 07:11:36.977: vcpu-0| TOOLS call to DisplayTopology_Set failed.

which seems like the problem, but really i have no idea what to do with that.

thanks

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So, yeah, this is exactly what's causing the problem. It looks like tools is dying in the guest. This problem has been fixed internally and will be included in the next release, but of course I can't make any claims/promises/prognostications/etc. about when that might happen. As for now... can you restart vmware-user in the guest manually and see if that helps?

0 Kudos
jrich523
Contributor
Contributor

well, at least its getting fixed... unity is such an awesome idea but i've had so many problems with it...

not really sure what you mean by vmware-user, i saw there was a vmwareuser.exe process running, but wasnt sure how to control it

0 Kudos