VMware Communities
oaklodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

7.1 Unity very slow

I'm trying to use Unity for the first time so I'm hoping I have some settings wrong.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 host (8GB, quad core) and WIndows 7 x86 guest (2GB, dual core)

It's a new machine (Lenovo W510) running all the latest drivers.

When the guest is in normal mode, I can launch applications great and the speed is great.

When I try to launch the same application is unity mode it is VERY SLOW.

In addition even simple things like displaying a standard file open dialog and scrolling up/down is VERY SLOW.

As it is Unity mode is far too slow to be usable.

Any ideas what I can do to make it work?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am also running Workstation 7.1 on a 64-bit Windows 7 host. When accessing Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit desktop in 64-bit in Unity mode, I get good (same as native VM) performance. When accessing my 32-bit Windows XP VM via Unity, the performance is slower than using the VM natively, but NOT unusable.

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

We've been investigating some reports of slowness with Vista and 7 guests that can affect things like scrolling. For the time being, try turning off composition in the guest (that is, use a theme that's not Aero and doesn't use glass) and see if that makes the guest respond better.

0 Kudos
oaklodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, thanks ... that helps but only a little.

In addition I have a problem when using unity with VMWare player.

In this case when clicking on the application menu it ONLY shows (building menu).

0 Kudos
AvgGenius
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue. I have an XP guest and Windows 7 host (no aero). Unity mode is so slow it is unusable. Loading web pages and scrolling in the browser is very very very slow.

0 Kudos
ascreek
Contributor
Contributor

So which is please the answer about this issue with 7.1.x?

0 Kudos
wernerml
Contributor
Contributor

it's really disappointing... i'm have this problem also... and the strange thing is it VARIES a lot, sometimes it's almost normal... but most of the times it's so slow that it simply freezes, and then -> "when I get out of unity mode, it un-freezes"

it must be a bug, since it's happening NOT all the times...

(I'm running Debian Wheezy "Host" with NVIDIA drivers properly installed,   and Windows 7 x64 "Guest")

0 Kudos
wernerml
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so I resolved the issue here...  Just removed ALL EFFECTS in Windows Guest, disabled composition (Aero theme), and all animations...

0 Kudos