VMware Communities
Kerschenbauer
Contributor
Contributor

8.0.1 and virtual maschine saved on network path

Hallo,

following scenario:

I have a Windows Windows XP Host running Workstation 8.0.1.

In Workstation i have some virtual machines, but most times only one or 2 are running.

One VM is a Windows Server 2008R2 stored on a network path (Netgear Readynas 3200 with Firmware 4.2.15).

When the VM is started everything works fine.

After closing the VM Workstation Application (without shutting down the VM) the VM is correctly running in the background.

When now the Workstation Application is started again you can not connect to the still running VM. You get the error:

---

Could not open virtual machine: \\readynas3200\backup\VMWare\IBSWEB2\IBSWEB2.vmx

"\\readynas3200\backup\VMWare\IBSWEB2\IBSWEB2.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file.

---

But everything else is still working correctly!

Any hint how to solve this problem?

An other VM stored on a Windows server 2003 and access with a UNC path do not show this behaviour.

best regards

Kerschenbauer W.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

cant you use a driveletter instead of a network path ?

0 Kudos
Kerschenbauer
Contributor
Contributor

The shitting point is that i can not connect to this vmware, so i can not stop it.

Maybe i can stop it over the system tray icon.

will try it soon and post again here.

0 Kudos
Kerschenbauer
Contributor
Contributor

What i have done:

.) stopped the virtual machine via the  sytem tray icon

.) Restarted the VMWare Workstation Program

.) can again normally access the VM which was blocked befor with the error message.

.) Removed the VM

.) Added the same VM but by using the drive letter z:\vmware...

.) Started the VM

.) When VM were running, i closed again the Workstation program

.) VM still runs

.) When restarting the Workstation Program, i can again not access the VM. Still the same errormessage but now indication the path with the drive letter.

.) Nothing changed!!!

Shit.

best regards

Kerschenbauer W.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

ok - now thats sounds like a diferent problem

please check if the vmware authd service is running - also make sure you use an admin account while trying to reconnect to a VM running in the background

if you just want to stop that VM ... dont you have RDP-access to the 2008 R2 ?

0 Kudos
Kerschenbauer
Contributor
Contributor

I am logged in on the host with administrative rights. I have not logged off while the whole Test.

The vmware Authd is running.

And once again, the same "stuff" works against a windows server 2003 share, but not against the netgear readynas 3200 share!!!!

Thanks

Kerschenbauer W.

0 Kudos