VMware Communities
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

A Time-Lock Bug in WMware workstation

Anyone can see this: modify your system-time to any year later than 2037. Open the GUI shell of the WMware workstation.

If you opened ony one of the Preference->Updates->SoftwareUpdates options.

See by yourself now and tell us what happened...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

As my evaluation, There are still many bugs in this software for 3d acceleratings(esp.for OpenGL). At least several coders working for WMware workstation is not so good.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Anyone can see this: modify your system-time to any year later than 2037. Open the GUI shell of the WMware workstation.

If you opened ony one of the Preference->Updates->SoftwareUpdates options.

See by yourself now and tell us what happened...

Please tell us what happens when you try this.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As my evaluation, There are still many bugs in this software for 3d acceleratings(esp.for OpenGL).

What bugs have you found?

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

I thought anyone can see this:

After the host-system time is set any year later than 2037, The vmware.exe(I'v installed WindowsXP host only) will be dead and not respond to user. U have to close it with Windows Task Manager. If you uncheck all the options in Main-Menu -> Preference->Updates->SoftwareUpdates options. It will work fine.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I can confirm this - see

but so what - in 2037 nobody will still use Workstation 7 - at that time very likely not even a physical machine able to run WS 7 will exist any longer .. so what ... 😉

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

At least one bug I have posted in there:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1523575#1523575

In version 7.1 the rate of the appearance in this bug is lower much than 7.01 and 7.0, but it do still happen randomly.

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

I like to build a museum to keep those classical applications and OSs if possible. And in that time the machine Matrix for human beings would have not been complished yet. --That is a joke Smiley Happy

As a virtualization tool, especially for 3D Acc VM supporting, I can't say that the VM is not a classic, and i hope it be better and stable enough.

PS: continuum, I can't see your link button for Reply, it's weird...

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Another bug i'v found is that in Windows7Enterprise(rtm) x64 Guests, i noticed that several system logs said the vmdebug.sys(come with vmtools for windows7) is not compatible with that windows version and was disabled while the system is starting.

Do i have to open another thread to discuss the question?

Notify me if i did something wrong.

Regards

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Still... The Version 7.1.1 take this bug also... You got be kidding me...

Have your VMware's developers even known this bug? i doubt about it...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hehe - I am not a VMware engineer - but one of the "loudest critics" here - but really - this time-issue with 2037 is really nothing I would even mention ... so what ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

Unix Millennium Bug?

How about dates before 1970?

Anyways, I would not waste time on this..

Joakim

0 Kudos