VMware Communities
3ler
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrade to Workstation Version from 15 to 15.5 Windows 10 hangs on boot

After I have upgrade to 15.5 my Windows 10 does not boot. A snapshot of an older state of my Windows 10 boots up w/o any issue.

The vmware-vmx task on my Linux host runs with 100% cpu time.

I can see the windows 10 logo and it says "Preparing Automatic Repair" after 15 seconds nothing happens. Need to kill the task

vmware-vmx to continue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you repaired your VM now? Is secure boot enabled and some un-signed driver installed?

0 Kudos
3ler
Contributor
Contributor

I have try to reactivate an older snapshot. It starts Window 10 and tries to upgrade for more than 3 hours. Afterwards the Domain

does not let me login due to some security stuff.

I try some other stuff and then I am not sure why, what I did. A cloned version from the original head version starts w/o any issue.

I have saved now all my data in the VMware and will reinstall Windows 10 again.

In the settings window I saw that for HDD this file was selected "Windows 10 x64-000004.vmdk" and had a size of 12,6 MB.

I try to select one of the other 1.vmdk to 3.vmdk, but it does not boot.

Selecting the Clone is jumps to "Windows 10 x64-cl1.vmdk" here it shows

Current Size: 4,9 GB

Maximum Size: 100 GB

System Free:  115,9 GB

What does these three Size tell me? I searched in the help, but did not find anything.

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What's your windows 10 VM's version?
Could you check whether secure option is enabled (by clicking VM settings->Options-> Advanced: Firmware Type->UEFI: checkbox Secure boot) and take a screenshot?

0 Kudos
3ler
Contributor
Contributor

What's your windows 10 VM's version?

Product: VMware® Workstation 15 Pro

Version: 15.5.0 build-14665864

Could you check whether secure option is enabled (by clicking VM settings->Options-> Advanced: Firmware Type->UEFI: checkbox Secure boot) and take a screenshot?

VMSetting.png

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks!

Your VM is using BIOS ,not UEFI boot. So the blue screen is not related to UEFI Secure Boot.
If you met the issue again, you may upload your VMware.log here, although I hope it won't happen. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3ler
Contributor
Contributor

Currently the Window 10 is okay again, but the vmware-vmx task occupies one core with 100% on my linux system and that all the time.

I have 3 other cores to work with Smiley Happy

Thanks for support.

0 Kudos