VMware Communities
hfcVM
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged networking stopped working in VMWare 17.0.1 on Linux

Up until today, VMWare Workstation 17.0.1 was working well on my Linux Pop!OS 22.04 laptop quite nicely. Today, two VM's had their networking stop working.  About 2 days ago, when I started up VMWare after a reboot, it did tell me it had to rebuild some files, which it did without incident.

When I use NAT, I can get onto the internet form my VM's. But what I want is for it to be able to use the internet AND access my LAN so I can access the various drives.  But Bridged networking doesn't work.  When I do ipconfig (windows), or ifconfig (linux) on a VM, in Bridged mode, it shows me a IPV6 address assigned but no gateway, and no IPV4 address either.

I tried going to Edit --> Virtual Network Editor, but I'm really not sure what to edit here. Since I have never used this feature before, I wouldn't know what it should look like, but here is a snapshot of the virtual network editor.

hfcVM_0-1691960355363.png

Is this something that would be fixed if I upgraded to 17.0.2?  I'm always nervous about VMWare upgrades because if they fail, I'm SOL.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hfcVM
Contributor
Contributor

I found the problem. It wasn't VMWare but rather the ethernet on the host computer went down. I was able to restore connectivity by having the Bridged Networking adapter use the WiFi adapter on the host instead.

Thought I'd add this little bit in case it helps someone down the road.

0 Kudos