VMware Communities
LegacyHardwareD
Contributor
Contributor

Can DOS program printer use ThinPrint drivers to output to my host printer?

My host is Win10 running VMWare Workstation 12.  I've installed a virtual WinXP and installed the VMWare Tools.  I then installed the printer using their ThinPrint tech.  I can print from the virtual WinXP OS.

But I'm running an dos program that can only print to parallel printers.  The ThinPrint suggests that all I have to do is direct the printing of the program to the serial port (COM1).  At the dos shell I made sure the COM1 printer is configured to match the hardware settings it has in the virtual XP.  Then I redirected the output from LPT1 LPT2 and LPT3 to COM1 using the dos MODE command.  I was hoping this was all I had to do but the print commands (of a simple text file) are not reaching the printer.

So am I doing something wrong or do the dos commands not reach the ThinPrint drivers that connect to my host machine?  I know that statement might make software developers cringe, but bear with me.

Yes, I know using DOS programs is stupid and yes I know there are other dosbox-like software units that I could try to use... but if Workstation can direct my output to a printer,  this will be an ideal long term solution.

0 Kudos
0 Replies