VMware Communities
knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

Connect vms that are hosted on two seperate Windows machines

Hi All,

I have two desktops that have vmware workstation 12.5 on them.  I have NAT and using vmnet 8 on them.   At this point, i cannot get my VMs that are hosted on the first laptop to communicate with vms hosted on the second laptop.  Is there anything in vmware workstation that can help me do that?   My router provided by my ISP is not sophisticated for me to create a route between the two.  Another option i was thinking about using is installing Microsoft software DHCP relay on a vm with w2k12 r2 installed on it but i am trying to see if i could do something with vmware workstation instead.   Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

By using NAT on the VMs they are then only able to communicate with other VMs on the same host within that particular NAT network.

In other words, they cannot be seen from outside of your laptop.

If you want VMs on one laptop to be able to communicate to VMs on another laptop then you will need to change the networking of both VMs to bridged.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

so there is no way other othan bridge to host?  what about DHCP relay agent?  Both environments would be routed to the router...i am just trying to figure something out where 1) i don't need reconfigure the I.P address and two - my DHCP server won't impact any of client environments by sending I.P. addresses...

0 Kudos