VMware Communities
Selven
Contributor
Contributor

Connection problem, on vista

Hi,

I have the latest version : vmware workstation 6.5.1 build-126130.

I have installed Vista Ultimate Edition, + sp1, and I have the latest version of vmware tools.

Windows detect the ethernet controller, but the program don't found the driver.

So, i don't have the internet connection in my vista virtual pc.

I have installed Windows XP, and the connection is established successfully. The vmware tools detect and install the ethernet controller, no problem.

But in my vista, i can't install the driver, it is not found...

In the older version of vmware and vmware tools, i hasn't problem, but now... a connection problem.

Someone have an idea for resolv my problem?

Thanks a lot. !!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What OS is your Host running?

Please post the vmware.log and .vmx file from the directory holding your Vista Guest. Also, can you provide the text of the error message you get when you try to install the network driver inside the Guest?

0 Kudos
Selven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

My host operating system is a windows vista ultimate edition 32 bits full updated. (it's the same OS which i want to install in my virtual computer).

The Vmware.log and the vmx file are in attached files !

When I want to try to install manually the ethernet device, I have this error (sorry, this is in french => i'm french) :

!http://imageshack-france.com/out.php/i278732_2407200809.18.183008200816.01.472812200811.24.32.png!

ps : sorry for my bad english ^^'

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your reply didn't appear to have any attachments. can you try attaching them again?

Message was edited by: Scissor

The screenshots loaded after a few minutes.

0 Kudos
Selven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm sorry but i have attached the file in my precedent message o_O. But maybe the upload system is not compatible with google chrome ? I don't know, i'm sorry.

So, now i have uploaded the files, with firefox.

Sorry for the time waiting in the loading of screenshots.

Thanks for your help !

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The Vista VM uses an Intel E1000 nic - Vista should have a driver for this onboard.

Did you try "update driver" from devicemanager ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
Selven
Contributor
Contributor

yes, when i click on the update driver from devicemanager, it says there isn't any driver for this device (i have a screenshot, more in top ^).

thanks, but i don't know what i can do for resolv this problem... ='(

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok, your Vista Guest is configured to present an Intel E1000 virtual ethernet adapter. I'm surprised that your Vista install did not automatically detect and install the driver for it as drivers for that card should be included with the installation media.

There are two options you could try:

- You could either try manually downloading the E1000 driver from Intel's web site.

- Change your Guest to present a different virtual ethernet adapter to the Guest OS.

I would try the second option myself. Shut down your guest and quit VMware Workstation. Modify your Guest's .vmx file. Change the line

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

to

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet"

Then start up the Guest and see if the network card is detected. You may need to reinstall the VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
Selven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

In first, i have tested the second way, but the problem is the same : vista detect the device, but, it doesn't found the driver.

The first way is the best ! I have downloaded the E1000 driver for the intel's website, and now i have internet ! The driver is installed successfully !!

Thanks !!!! You are the best :smileysilly:

Good day !

0 Kudos