VMware Communities
mbeierl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dual nic linux workstation host, no ip for second nic

Is it possible to bridge a second NIC on a linux host to a VM without assigning an IP address to the host? Whenever I attempt to do so, I get the following message:

The network bridge on /dev/vmnet0 is not running.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have not done this on a Linux Host however on a Windows Host in the past I have used a Loopback Adapter on the Ethernet Port so it would show it as Active and therefore would not get any error messages about the Network Bridge not running. I'm assuming things haven't changed so in order to avoid Network Bridge not running the Ethernet Port needs to show as Active.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

to assign a physical ethernet nic to workstation, the nic must be up and running. But it's not fully necessary a IP.

You have to search how you can get up a nic without IP in your particular linux's flavor.

For example in red hat based linux, it would be sufficient to set BOOTPROTO='none' in the ifcfg-ethx file to do the trick.

Anyway, if you aren't able to get it working without IP, you can set a "dummy" loopback IP.

For example you can use the 127.0.0.10 IP without any problem.

Hope it helps.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos